AuthorTopic: PLUG IT! (updated)  (Read 21798 times)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: PLUG IT! (updated)

Reply #10 on: August 21, 2005, 03:32:40 pm
I like to share what i know, actually it would be neat to see other people taking a shot at c64 pictures :D

Also a super minor update, just for completeness

Newest
Newer
First
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #11 on: August 21, 2005, 03:48:35 pm
I am back from a week of vacation. Nice to see you rock this one out, ptoing. Now it IS finished. I love it.

EDIT: ---------

NEOTA POSTED:

I would have liked to see more of that blueish color used, as it might have made the pic look sharper.

As you may remember, i do doublewidth-pixel pics, CPC or (some invented restriction, like your crazily-many-colors pic you posted awhile ago.) . I don't do C64 pics because the palette.. has no capability of vividness. the colors are all desaturated.

Ever done a doubleheight-pixel pic? I've done a few before.. You could get a 640x200 mode (mode 2) on CPC, though it was monochrome.. EGA had a 640x350x16colors mode, and you could tweak the VGA to get 640x350x256colors
(X-Men did it). I think you could also get a few variants of the mode on Amiga.

Anyway, if you want something else odd to try..

-----------------

the rest of his post was splitted into it's own topic to avoid thread derailing.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2005, 05:51:39 pm by Helm »

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: August 21, 2005, 06:20:22 pm
Linkage so that this reference can also make sense in the future after they both fall off the page:
http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=141.0 Is a link to the following image
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #13 on: September 06, 2005, 01:01:53 am
man, I dont know how helm can say there's no way to make a vivid C64 pic after seeing this, I reallly admire the use of color here on it's own, but knowing that it was a pallete restricted enough to beat helm, damn, that's just mind blowing.

I think you could really use tweaking things around and working more on the composition, like tracing out lines to figure out what's pointing towards what...and whatnot :p

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #14 on: September 06, 2005, 03:32:26 am
man, I dont know how helm can say there's no way to make a vivid C64 pic after seeing this, I reallly admire the use of color here on it's own, but knowing that it was a pallete restricted enough to beat helm, damn, that's just mind blowing.

I think you could really use tweaking things around and working more on the composition, like tracing out lines to figure out what's pointing towards what...and whatnot :p

Hehe this pic is awesome and it kicks my ass sure enough, but I never said there's no way to make vivid sixtyfour pics :P In fact, the c64 palette is the best 16 colour plaette I've seen, because it's hand-picked, not machine-generated. The thing about it is the 4 grays that are used to buffer everything that give sixtyfour pics a very specific feeling... not that of blandness, but very specific nonetheless. Maybe you're thinking Neota said that?

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: September 06, 2005, 04:52:22 pm
Yeah camus, s/helm/neota.
Compare it in vividness to one of your megaman-style sprites.
I think you can make any given area look vivid, but not the whole pic, because the palette is overall too desaturated, as Helm documented.
For vividness, CPC palette is better (though thats a 16 of 27colors palette rather than a 16color palette).

Basically, I think C64 palette is good for backgrounds and bad for sprites , unless you're going for super-simple sprites like Jumpman had.
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline Matriax

• View Profile
    • MATRIAX PIXEL GRAPHICS

Reply #16 on: September 12, 2005, 11:52:41 am
I like these tipe of images with rare colors etc...

¿ What palette you use for make this pictures ?

I view the process of the image, but i not view how make the picture pixel-by-pixel and i think is interesting.

For example i make various video-tutorials where the people can view me pixel-by-pixel anythings.

The more alrge video-tutorial of robotic dragon:

http://usuarios.lycos.es/perromano/videotut5/videtut5.html

And if you like it and would view more than this, the web: http://videotuts.webcindario.com/

How i say before i believe is interesting make a video-tutorial of your piece or another :)

I make this with camtasaia recorder and with the codec TechSmith(properly of camtasia) and after with camtasia transform the avi in flash :) .

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #17 on: September 12, 2005, 12:58:28 pm
learn to work with shortcuts, that video is making me crazy.

also, that palette is the c64 palette. The c64 is an old computer.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2005, 01:02:24 pm by Helm »

Offline Matriax

• View Profile
    • MATRIAX PIXEL GRAPHICS

Reply #18 on: September 12, 2005, 06:15:04 pm
Anybody can post the palette (.pal) or where i can download this?

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #19 on: September 12, 2005, 06:56:52 pm
www.ptoing.net/html/c64info.htm

if you scroll down there are 4 palettes, don't mind the grayscale ones. And don't mind the 3rd and 4th one either as they are crap.

The 2nd is the most accurate. I use the first because it is more or less the same just a bit brighter and looks nicer on a pc monitor.
Just save the png file of the palette and make your own pal file :)

I also discribe the graphicsmode these pictures are done in on that page if you wanna give it a shot. This is not just about limited colours, it is quite a bit more complicated.

Hope this helps.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.