AuthorTopic: Small scale furniture and such  (Read 7072 times)

Offline SirBilly

• MS Painter
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/14358.htm
    • View Profile

Small scale furniture and such

on: January 20, 2010, 10:56:52 pm
Hi-dilly-ho-dilly!

Looking for some critique and inspiration. It's a different approach for me in pixeling, maybe someone out there knows some inspirational art lying around helping me out doing full house of MORE various furnitures and such. Would be great really! ;D

Thanks!

Offline Stratto

• View Profile

Re: Small scale furniture and such

Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 12:21:49 am
Wow, these look pretty neat.

For the furniture, you could do some more personal stuff, like a guitar, or some posters.
Making a full side scrolling game out of these would be awesome, and I would totally play it.

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 12:25:58 am
Looking for inspiration really depends on what it is about these furniture pieces you find interesting, and what about them you are expressing. Until that is known, I don't really know what I could suggest. It's possibly something you're just going to have to hunt down yourself. :)

The pieces are extremely rectilinear in structure, which lends itself well to pixelling. But it means that pixel-wise, there's not really a lot of critique (from what I can see). The main thing I see is the top of the bookshelf reading pretty poorly and looking rather jagged. Did an edit:

Also worked more shadows and tweaked the levels of shadows.

Offline SirBilly

• MS Painter
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 07:58:00 am

I'd love to see these small furnitures as a whole picture inside a house for example, atm they're just random furnitures to me. I'm not quite sure where this is heading really, but I guess some inspiration would fuel me a bit. That's great , thanks!  ;D

Some small changes:

Totally stole EayCraft's edit idea

Hmmm, wonder why they're facing the same direction...

Offline iggybork

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 04:11:36 am
The computer desk keeps bugging me. Since the bases and tops of things are all on the same line in this perspective, the only way to show that both the computer-desk-cabinets and the supporting plank are of equal width is to make the shadows of both have equal width. Right now, it looks like the supporting plank is either flat and somewhat turned to face the viewer, or it looks like it gets to the wall far before the cabinets do.

I tried it in paint, and the fix makes it much more readable. I'd post the edit, but I still fail at transparency.

These are adorable. I agree with Stratto, they look like they belong in a platformer, but the colors are also giving me a dollhouse vibe (in a good way).

Offline SirBilly

• MS Painter
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 05:36:05 am

Made some more small improvements(?)

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 05:53:17 am
You no longer need to 2x your images, since Firefox 3.6 has arrived(and fixed the blurring issue)! I really like these. They're very simple, yet seem to imply much more detail than there actually is. In fact, for some reason it reminds me of Cave Story. For the computer desk, what you can do to fix the issue of the two sides not matching:

Instead of just making the cabinet side longer, and thus making it hit the other side and destroying the gap, you can just balance them out.

Also, the bed seems a little high(it's as high as the desk, which is odd :P)

Offline McClaneGames

• Evan M
    • View Profile
    • NinetySix, Co.

Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 01:37:25 pm
Dusty - I've got Firefox 3.6, and it still blurs it out when I zoom in (although that just might be a Windows 7 thing, since it happens in IE8 and Chrome 4, too). NVM, a simple edit to a CSS file in my AppData folder did the trick.
SirBilly - I like it, but that indent on the bookshelf is bugging me.  The grays don't really go well with the brown.  I'll try to make an edit without destroying your palette, and I'll post it once I finish.
Here's an edit -  The black may be a bit too harsh, but I didn't want to edit your palette.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 09:35:15 pm by McClaneGames »

Offline SirBilly

• MS Painter
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 02:17:08 am
You no longer need to 2x your images, since Firefox 3.6 has arrived(and fixed the blurring issue)! I really like these. They're very simple, yet seem to imply much more detail than there actually is. In fact, for some reason it reminds me of Cave Story. For the computer desk, what you can do to fix the issue of the two sides not matching:

Instead of just making the cabinet side longer, and thus making it hit the other side and destroying the gap, you can just balance them out.

Also, the bed seems a little high(it's as high as the desk, which is odd :P)

I made each sides of the cabinet a pixel wider instead because I want a pixel gap between the legs on the cabinet, I also moved the computer to balance it out kinda, thanks!

Dusty - I've got Firefox 3.6, and it still blurs it out when I zoom in (although that just might be a Windows 7 thing, since it happens in IE8 and Chrome 4, too). NVM, a simple edit to a CSS file in my AppData folder did the trick.
SirBilly - I like it, but that indent on the bookshelf is bugging me.  The grays don't really go well with the brown.  I'll try to make an edit without destroying your palette, and I'll post it once I finish.
Here's an edit -  The black may be a bit too harsh, but I didn't want to edit your palette.

Well I simply replaced the light gray with the one you used and kept the darker gray. Thanks!

EDIT:

And yeah, how do you draw a couch?

Offline McClaneGames

• Evan M
    • View Profile
    • NinetySix, Co.

Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 05:54:57 pm
The shape of the couch looks fine, however there is no contrast, making it hard to distinguish the different contours, however this is still a WIP, so I don't really expect everything here to be perfect. :P