AuthorTopic: Awkward Turkey  (Read 3015 times)

Offline Atrophy

• View Profile

Awkward Turkey

on: January 20, 2010, 08:19:57 am
Well, This is for the PJ challenge. Two hands making the Awkward Turkey high-five thing..

So.. I did the one hand.. but working on the second hand, need to know if its looking good, or what should I do to fix my vast number of faults.

Without further adieu....

Also.. Does the proportions of both hands look right? The clenched one gives me some ifs.. Could just be me nit picking at it.

Offline iggybork

• View Profile

Re: Awkward Turkey

Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 04:03:29 pm
Actually, the clenched hand looks fantastic. You don't want the nail-side of the thumb to be that curved, or at least mine isn't when I try that with my own hand. Just remember that, when together in the palm, the fingers act more like a triangle than a square - wider at the second knuckle than at the fingertips. And you'll see a little of the first segment on the left of your middle/ring/pinky fingers, and on the right of your pointer finger.

As for the one you finished, the thumb is too short. On my hand, my thumb is almost as tall as the second knuckle on my pointer finger when I put them right next to each other, so even when extended, it should still look longer. You may have been going for some foreshortening, but if the thumb is coming towards the viewer, we should see more of the flap of skin between the pointer finger and thumb. Also, no matter how you have the fingers extended, the tendons from every finger (including the thumb) should stick out. (The one on the thumb is really fun to draw, because it has two tendons - one that goes up to the second knuckle and one that goes from the wrist to the base of the thumb - and they form a little well next to the wrist. :) )
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 04:07:59 pm by iggybork »

Offline Atrophy

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 06:38:41 pm
Actually, the clenched hand looks fantastic. You don't want the nail-side of the thumb to be that curved, or at least mine isn't when I try that with my own hand. Just remember that, when together in the palm, the fingers act more like a triangle than a square - wider at the second knuckle than at the fingertips. And you'll see a little of the first segment on the left of your middle/ring/pinky fingers, and on the right of your pointer finger.

As for the one you finished, the thumb is too short. On my hand, my thumb is almost as tall as the second knuckle on my pointer finger when I put them right next to each other, so even when extended, it should still look longer. You may have been going for some foreshortening, but if the thumb is coming towards the viewer, we should see more of the flap of skin between the pointer finger and thumb. Also, no matter how you have the fingers extended, the tendons from every finger (including the thumb) should stick out. (The one on the thumb is really fun to draw, because it has two tendons - one that goes up to the second knuckle and one that goes from the wrist to the base of the thumb - and they form a little well next to the wrist. :) )

Yeah, the thumb is suppose to be extended towards the view, guess I should re shade between the thumb and rest of the hand to make that more obvious. Thanks for the reply. Hopefully I'll be able to get it the clenched fist shaded for the most part tonight when I return from work.

Okay, after work, this is all I've done, just gonna get some sleep now. Didn't get much done on the other hand.

Got A LOT of stuff to change. Need to figure how much shadow should be shown on the clenched hand.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 05:23:13 am by Atrophy »

Offline Atrophy

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 05:29:57 am
Alright well I shaded it. Shame no one choose to crit on the current work I had done. Oh well!

So Sorry for the double post. But, it's been 3 days.

Figure it is almost done, unless some bold fellow has the feeling to crit this.

Please and Thanks!!!