AuthorTopic: Game mockup  (Read 3675 times)

Offline Adrian

• View Profile

Game mockup

on: January 19, 2010, 05:48:29 am
Here's a mockup of my graphics for an mmorpg I hope to be working on soon.. enjoy and please critique. =]

*Note

I should also mention not all of these graphics are mine, namely the big tropical looking bush, the piled logs, the signs and the barrels.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 05:55:50 am by Adrian »

Offline twodayslate

• View Profile
    • twitter

Re: Game mockup

Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 05:51:12 am
The water is a little too green. It blends into the grass. Add some texture and blue

Offline rustEdge

• that guy
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 08:45:33 am
I think for the most part I see a color balancing issue. Everything feels like they're the same depth. Same level of contrast on average. Hue shifts are present, but the saturation again is constant. is Besides the base grass and road tiles, almost everything is pretty saturated. I've checked the color palette. There's a lot of colors set to max saturation (255/ 100%). Highly saturated colors + dithering = massive eye strain. especially if you start scrolling the screen.
In games, there are visual cues as to what objects are supposed to be the background, stuff that can be traversed, and stuff that you can interact with. Application of shadows would give a certain degree of three-dimensionality to most of the objects in the scene. high saturation on interactive objects would also help with navigation for the player. Reducing saturation on land and vegetation tiles would help reduce eye strain. Most players also unconsciously treat low saturation on objects means they're either inane props or tiles they can walk on.

I've done a few edits on your image to show what I mean. I apologize for the water corrections. I haven't had that much experience working with reflective materials.

So again, desaturate the whole image, saturate only the important parts, and apply shadow/ highlights on important things to make them stand out.

Offline Adrian

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 05:35:26 am
What exactly did you do? I've been trying to fix my stuff but when I tone down the saturation it just looks like crap.

Offline linx

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 05:46:58 am
I'm pretty sure that wherever there are boxes there are edit's in the image.  :)

Offline Adrian

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 05:57:09 am
I'm pretty sure that wherever there are boxes there are edit's in the image.  :)

I know that, haha. I just don't know what he did to them to make them look like that, they look nicer than anything I've been able to do.