AuthorTopic: [WIP] In the name of Logos  (Read 4257 times)

Offline Smash

• View Profile

[WIP] In the name of Logos

on: January 17, 2010, 07:15:14 am
We shall leave our mark

Im practicing new methods, and challenged myself to use the pallete there. Tried this because it's too far out from my confort zone.
Ms Paint, if relevant.

This would be one of my first proper pixel-art backgrounds; since all I have ever done before were sprites and characters. I wouldn't mind some C&C on it.. *craves*

Oh and, see if anyone can get meaning out of this.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 07:42:05 am by Smash »

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Re: [WIP] In the name of Logos

Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 03:33:27 am
I really like what you have cooking here! There's a wonderful alien feel to the landscape and the isolated building that just brims with a dream-like quality.

I feel the piece could really profit from some tighter work on perspective. The horizon line looks about at the midpoint of the picture. The projection of the building in relation to that horizon line implies the building is slanted down towards the viewer, which kind of breaks the consistency of the piece.

Compositionally there doesn't seem like a lot of strength. At the moment my eyes are led straight to the building, but in a bizarre way the sense of movement in the image feels like the mountains are pushing out against the wave in a kind of defiant defense. I would bring the building right over to the right of the image, and concentrate much more on developing a feeling of movement of the wave invading the scene.

Try being more decisive with your use of shadows (particularly black) within the composition as a whole. In this case I would use it to control focus on the building, isolating it from the rest of the landscape to imply vulnerability.

Maybe harmonise your hues a little more. There's browns and reds that are working fine, even the purple works, but you've got blues, greens, purples, browns, black all kind of isolated in their own space doing their own thing. To harmonise you need to bring the colours together and work them off each other. I would try culling a couple of the hues first and flesh out the image, then see if there's places for more colours.

Offline Smash

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 02:26:32 am
Thanks for the good crit.  :y:

What im trying to do here is, well, to have all the nature forces somehow gang up to overwhelm the small greek temple in exagerated ways. Im looking more into movement flow and action for the piece by somehow twisting the perspective views around.

The temple holds hierarchy here because it's opposing all the chaos with order. The center spot was intended.

Here's an update: (This was before I read the crit)

Offline Jeremy

• howdy
    • pixellerjeremy
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19218.htm
    • pixellerjeremy
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 06:02:06 am
It doesn't have to be directly in the centre for an overwhelming feel; try putting it in, say the bottom-right area, with the elements sorta rushing in from above. I didn't initially realise that you were using the C64 Palette, so good job on that so far ;D

Offline Smash

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 11:58:32 pm
Hmm.. Delayed because of college, but I worked on it a bit more these days

The last one was off the C64 pallete by a color, but this one's entirely faithful now.

Offline Olothontor

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 06:53:04 pm
Ah, awesome progress. I like the new sky backdrop, and the new wave detail is awesome. Great work!

The rocks to me still look a bit awkward. The pink color is also a bit jarring, perhaps reduce that a bit. Beyond that, looks great!
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa

Offline Smash

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 03:09:45 am
Got it.  :y:

I think I should also drop this other WIP here, as it's also more C64 practice.