AuthorTopic: I'm looking for some critque. Pwease?  (Read 3259 times)

Offline jackal27

• View Profile

I'm looking for some critque. Pwease?

on: January 16, 2010, 11:17:01 pm
Hi there! I'm new to the forums as well as pixel art.

I just started working on my first indie game, titled Driftwood, a few months ago with a team of 4 people and I'm doing the pixel art. Anyway, like I said I'm new to it! In fact, besides my avatar, this is the first piece of pixel art I've done! However, I know it can be better.

Anyway, I'm just looking for critiques, edits, suggestions... insults... What ever you can give me!

This is my game's main character and this is my first draft of what will eventually be his final sprite.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 11:20:23 pm by jackal27 »

Offline Hyrule_SwordsMan

• View Profile

Re: I'm looking for some critque. Pwease?

Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 11:35:12 pm
you should revise the depht of the colors, maybe stronger shadows, and more defined.
There are some double pixeled lines on the outline..
I would revise his eyes and nose
also add some shadows on his neck

cheers :)

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 01:33:53 am

Here's a small edit I did, hopefully it speaks for itself, if you're doing a video game character I suggest a top-down light source instead of what I have but... here ya go.

Offline jackal27

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 01:47:03 am
Thanks for the advice guys! Yeah... Colors are what I struggle with most. I don't think that double pixels are ALWAYS bad, but I can see what you mean.

Thanks for the edit bengoshia! I like it a lot. The colors especially. I think I'm going to use it to tweak mine and hopefully find some middle-ground.

I'm really trying to figure out what to do with the eyes, but I can't seem to come up with much... Argh. Anyway, you guys are awesome and I appreciate it. If anyone else feels like adding something or doing an edit, it would help me out immensely.

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 03:00:59 am
Here's another edit! I based this one off of Bengoshia's. (Hope you don't mind!)

First I reoriented the light-source so that it was coming from the top instead of the side, just so that if this were to be put in a game, running to the left would not make the lighting on the character appear to change.
I also used a mix of Bengoshia's palette plus your dino-hoodie's original shade of green.
I fiddled around with colored outlines for a bit, not too happy with them, the flesh on the arms and legs may be outlined a bit too lightly compared to the other parts. Also, I would suggest that you open his right hand so you can see the claws there as well, it looks a little odd at the moment.
I added a lot of small details to sell the outfit a bit more, like the folds in the pants along the leg (which are questionable, though) and at the bottom, same for the sleeves and waist of the shirt. Punched the shading a bit harder on the hand so that the fingers come forward more.
Changed the shoes from nondescript brown shoes to white sneakers, as I thought it fit a bit better with the character.

Any questions on anything else I did?

Offline jackal27

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 03:25:49 am
 :o Holy cow! Very nice!

I LOVE what you did with the hand. This sprite will actually be part of his idle animation and I was planning on having the hands open and close as he stands there. Everything about that is pretty much perfect aside from the shoes. I guess I didn't tell anyone, but he actually lives in a village that's secluded from the rest of civilization, so the sneakers actually wouldn't fit as well as moccasins or something, lol. I was trying to find a way to add details that make his clothes appear more homemade, but I couldn't really come up with anything that didn't look like a jumbled mess of butt, haha.

You're absolutely right about the outlines and I really like the details on his pants as well. Thank you so much! I'm so glad I actually worked up the courage to come to these forums and risk putting my noobish pixel art on display, haha.