AuthorTopic: [slight nudity] Platformer sprites  (Read 4896 times)

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

[slight nudity] Platformer sprites

on: January 16, 2010, 07:54:49 am
New years resolution was to draw for at least an hour a day, so I decided to start drawing a game idea that's been running through my head for a few months.

I intend to draw up as much of this game as possible (animations/ backgrounds/ gui) with no intention of anything coming from it. :blind:

-->

The first two characters are the main playable guys, the third is the bad guy and the rest are bosses. I plan to draw two more bosses, a second form for the third guy and a bunch of generic enemies.
Gameplay would be a mix between the lost vikings style puzzles and super smash bros combat.
Backgrounds will be index painted with an intended in-game resolution of 640x360.

I will likely go back and texture the mermaid and minotaur-y guy's legs. Main yellow character may or may not get a hat. Just realised the red guy has no claws :-[

I have a vague plot and game world in mind, but I won't bore you with it till I get a bit further into the drawing.

Posting them up now for critique so I can get a solid rendering style down before I get too far into it.

Will update as it comes.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 01:55:54 pm by 32 »

Offline Olothontor

• View Profile

Re: [slight nudity] Platformer sprites

Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 04:22:51 pm
The only thing I noticed worth pointing out is that the mermaid's arms look awkward, probably because they're so thin. Thinner than the rest of their arms, in fact. Other than that, they look good.
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 03:35:33 am
The arms were a bit of a problem because I had originally planned to have a shield on her right arm, but it didn't work out so well, and I ended up just rotating them into place and cleaning :yell: went back and fixed them (hopefully)

Updated first post with two enemies, I wanted them to be shadow-like but I think they may be a little unreadable? And I think the first guy should have his back arm visible due to the perspective, I'll try to fix that soon.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 06:00:32 am
Neat little sprites so far! Their detail level is nice and it'll lend well to animating since you're not dealing with too many details and gradation. They remind me a little of those pikmin thingies.

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 02:01:42 pm
I actually used pikmin as a bit of a reference when I first scribbled these guys :lol:

I hope that I can make the animating as easy as possible on myself, because I've only done it a few times. Prepare for something horrible when I start.

Anyway, first post updated with attack pose for the first guy, I tried to draw a little idle animation with the silhouette, lets just say subtlety isn't my strong suit. Hopefully I can come up with something decent, but I think I might try some bigger animations first.

Offline Olothontor

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 12:56:29 am
The arms are a bit better now. Awesome!

... I feel like a spriting noob, I have nothing left to say about them. Besides, obviously, the fact that they're awesome and well done.
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa