AuthorTopic: Project Leader Weapons  (Read 8522 times)

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Project Leader Weapons

on: January 16, 2010, 04:41:12 am
GFX Dept. Weapons (COMPLETE)

Coder Dept. Weapons (WIP)

SFX Dept. Weapons (WIP)

Project Leader Weapons

The 4th and LAST set to be fully pixelled.

This time it's the Project Leader's turn. Instead of the usual 3, this set must have 4, so it can always trump any lvl 3 weapon from the other departments, if necessary.

Power/element is . . . uhhh . . . ANTI-MATTER POWER. Or something like that. What's the greatest power-type you can think of? Nuclear? How would I do that? Should the 4th and final level weapon be a nuke? That's rather overdone these days.

**UPDATED reference sketches

I'm undecided what route to take. At first I was going to come up with 4 medieval hand armor type war implements, like bladed iron gauntlets supercharged with glowing purple anti-matter power, etc. But I don't know. Had an idea to create 4 different items of jewelry, like the ref sketches ring and gothic finger thingy, perhaps imbued with this "power", but eh, that kind of pales in comparison to actual physical weapons.

Then I thought, hey why not some projectile weapons. I couild start with bow & arrow, then some advanced crossbow. Got a couple nasty looking boomerangs going in the ref sketches, that's sort of a projectile weapon. Thought about using the NES Zapper, for fun. Then why not a howitzer or some artillery cannon for the final weapon?  Nothing really clicks well.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 05:26:53 pm by Mathias »

Offline Ultimaodin

• Unknown Artistry
    • View Profile

Re: Project Leader Weapons

Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 09:36:20 am
Honestly so far the boomerang idea is the best so far. Maybe even look at something along the lines of an Aiselne, what Tira uses in Soul Caliber. I'd love to see more weapons like these. As element ideas.

Time and Space could be good first level weapons while an ion Aiselne (similar concept to a lightsaber) and an atom radiation version for the final.

That's my ideas. Either that or for the weapon you could keep running with the boomerang idea and place a handle in the centre of it to give it a mallee as well as a ranged fighting ability. (Can't remember what those weapons are called)

Hope this post helps.

Offline politopo

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 11:33:49 am
about the biggest power in the universe idea: what about a star/gravity-themed escalation (not that far from your origina idea) with something like
white dwarf-something
giant red-something
supernova-something
black-hole-something
there are a lot of otherfantastic buzzwords: galaxy, pulsar, quasar, nebula, ...

About the weapon choice: if you want to keep on the hand weapon you are still missing the polearms
ploe, lancer, halberd, etc
otherwise, to highlight the superiority you could make use of long-range (bows, guns, ...)? but i think it may sound a little out of theme...

Offline Photocopier

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 12:41:04 pm
I definitely think gauntlets fits a project leader.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 08:37:18 pm
@Ultimaodin, hehe yeah, I happened across the thought to use something like Xena's circlet throwing weapon. Or even if I used the boomerang, where do you go from there? And doesn't the boomerang or aiselne weapon seem more powerful than a crossbow, yet the crossbow is more accurate and would reach farther; it's unclear which is superior. I'm trying to make it obvious each weapon is greater than the one before it. This is the trouble with not keeping each weapon in the series all in the same "type". The other sets have a clear hierarchy because they're just the same basic weapon, it just gets a little bigger between levels.

@politopo, thanks for the interesting ideas. Long-reaching polearms are a nice idea but I wouldn't be able to get much detail in since I'd have to render them small in order to fit them into the image's dimensions, plus the Sound Dept. weapons already cover "chopping" weapons, and the Coder Dept is covering "slicing/slashing".

@Photo, yeah I really wanted to stay with hand/gauntlet weapons, but I can't seem to come up 4 good ones, which all get better per level up. Thought about using an NES Powerglove for the 4th and final weapon. If I did something like brass knuckles for the 1st weapon, it wouldn't stack up well against a hammer, axe or sword now would it?

_______

In order to just get the show on the road, why don't I just do projectile weapons. . . Those are easily superior to other departments' melee weapon sets, which is the point of the PL weapons - they have to be able to trump all others.

So here's my official starting point:

-The crossbow doesn't fit in well, though it is sufficiently primitive, making a good lvl 1 weapon.
-Would be better if #2 (top right) was a better bridge between 1 and 3, there's too much of a jump in technology. I might make #1 an ancient crappy flint-lock pistol.
-#4 is an all-out modern warfare rifle, includes an RPG launcher, and complete with evil Rambo bayonet. It's kinda ridiculous.

Offline BwdYeti

• Emo Halb + Emocar = :|
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 03:06:03 am
I think with how overdone the every gun at once idea is, the fourth concept could work for your third level gun, and then for the strongest you could use something simple but more powerful. The idea that the multigun has to spray ordinance to get the job done, while the best gun needs only one shot.

Anyway, for other overarching group ideas, since the others are bludgeoning, slashing, and chopping, you could try piercing/thrusting for this one.

Offline politopo

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 12:43:00 pm
Some llittle suggestion for better (?) ramps

bow -> crossbow -> handgungun -> shotgun/rifle

gun -> shotgun -> rpg -> button (THE button, you know, wink wink)

anyway, IMHO I think the whole gun thing is too much out of theme
you have to keep medieval/fantasy, so maybe

sling -> bow -> crossbow -> really old ancient artifact (shotgun)

otherwise:
articulate weapons? (whip -> flail -> triple-flail -> ball and chain ) but maybe it sounds too much slavery-like and your leaders are not happy :)
magic wands? (wand = leader symbol)

I say my comments because your idea is great and deserves the best...
I leave you with this little jewel
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_melee_weapons

Offline Photocopier

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 01:13:54 pm
It could go something like:
Gauntlet --> Wrist blade --> Claws
like the diablo 2 assassin.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 03:05:21 am
Nice thoughts guys, thanks!

But how about something totally different - sentient lifeforms.

I mean like pets or minions controlled by the Project Leader.

Thought about giving the PL all flying pets:

1) Pheonix
2) ? ? ?
3) Gryphon
4) Manticore

-OR-

Gollum creatures, RPG summoned pets

1) Copper Gollum
2) Iron Gollum
3) Steel Gollum
4) Warcraft III Infernal

With the PL "weapons" as controlled subjects, the concept of a leader is inforced, like with the fist/gauntlet ideas.

Offline Ultimaodin

• Unknown Artistry
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 10:16:42 am
I will be honest, I do not like the pet idea. I don't like thinking about pets as another weapon. It doesn't look good when a good guy uses them as such. (at least that's my view)
I still like the idea of throwing weapons. A sudden Gun after all these medieval weapons is irritating. Plus in the majority of RPG games swords and stuff usually end up doing more than guns.

1: Kunai
2: Ninja Star
3: Boomerang
4:Aiselne

Of course you could make these weapons a lot larger than in real life. :)

For politopo's articulate weapons you could always use chain blades and cat-and-nine-tails.