AuthorTopic: Alien Steampunk Propaganda  (Read 3805 times)

Offline Olothontor

• View Profile

Alien Steampunk Propaganda

on: January 16, 2010, 01:10:55 am
My original idea came from a race of aliens who underwent a era similar to that of our "Victorian Age", but instead of branching off into modern technology, they followed the 'steampunk' route, discovered Aetheric crystals, jade-esque crystals that emit fumes when heated. The fumes can either be supercompressed (thus the steam technology) or electrocuted to produce different kinds of energy, mostly forms of radiation. I ended up following this idea through to a full-fledged PW army called the Kalae.

This here would be a Kalaean Navy propaganda poster. Please C&C and enjoy!

« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 01:42:08 am by Olothontor »
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa

Offline Olothontor

• View Profile

Re: Alien Steampunk Propaganda

Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 04:05:38 am
Same poster, now with about %10 more detailing and awesome.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 04:08:57 am
Well it's not as if the whole earth was affected by "victorian" culture during its influence. Victorian era.

I can't tell what the image depicts. It's some weathered parchment with perhaps bullet holes in it. There are glyphs below, but what is the center object?

But honestly, vistorian steampunk aliens? Why not just say they're humans? It's true, when I think aliens, I always think super-advanced species, never low-tech. But, they had to have started somewhere, right?

Offline Olothontor

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 04:17:53 am
Precisely. And honestly it proves for some interesting stylistic maneuvering. When conceptualizing their technology, one must manage to neatly mesh the steampunk copper-n-brass feel with the inhuman technology style, while all at once favoring neither side more than the other. I just found it to be an interesting concept. And once I get stuck on an idea... I get STUCK on it.

And I do know about the Victorian Era, thank you for the link, though. I was focusing less on the cultural rigidness of the society (although the caste system I have in mind for the Kalae does mesh with that) and more on the technological path. The society will, of course, be majorly different from human society at the time, otherwise, as you stated, what's the point of making them aliens?

Also, the image is a gas mask. The 'glyphs' at the bottom translate (in my head >_>) to "Enlist". Their propaganda was very Russian in that respect; straight forward, no beating around the bush or subtlety.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 04:20:08 am by Olothontor »

Offline twodayslate

• View Profile
    • twitter

Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 04:33:34 am
I figured it was a gas mask from the title but TBH I couldn't tell that well.

Make the eyes bigger http://www.approvedgasmasks.com/images/evo5000-mask.jpg

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 04:39:23 am
Precisely. And honestly it proves for some interesting stylistic maneuvering. When conceptualizing their technology, one must manage to neatly mesh the steampunk copper-n-brass feel with the inhuman technology style, while all at once favoring neither side more than the other. I just found it to be an interesting concept. And once I get stuck on an idea... I get STUCK on it.

And I do know about the Victorian Era, thank you for the link, though. I was focusing less on the cultural rigidness of the society (although the caste system I have in mind for the Kalae does mesh with that) and more on the technological path. The society will, of course, be majorly different from human society at the time, otherwise, as you stated, what's the point of making them aliens?

Also, the image is a gas mask. The 'glyphs' at the bottom translate (in my head >_>) to "Enlist". Their propaganda was very Russian in that respect; straight forward, no beating around the bush or subtlety.

Ok, very good. I take it this is just a start then? What is the scope of this project?

Offline Olothontor

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 04:47:17 am
Thank you for the reference, I was trying to make it look more alien, though. Perhaps later on you'll see why I designed it the way I did.

As for scope... I'm not entirely certain yet. I know for certain I'm going to try and add a bust to it, and probably play around with the perspective a bit to give a better idea of the shape of the head and such.

Hell, if I go far enough this may end up a webcomic. It all depends on the first crucial steps...

And if this goes any further, I may very well end up taking help. Turn this into a collaborative effort with one, maybe two, other people. So just throwing that out there.

New:
Old:

The enlarged eyes really made a difference, thanks.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 05:09:34 am by Olothontor »

Offline Olothontor

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 06:00:52 pm
Just finished up a rough sketch of a generic Kalaean Navy rifle. Any suggestions? Right it looks kinda iffy.

Update:

« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 09:07:45 pm by Olothontor »