AuthorTopic: What up, Gs  (Read 9122 times)

Offline Darion

• View Profile
    • Portfolio bitch

What up, Gs

on: March 19, 2006, 02:02:29 am
Uhm ... this is just a compilation of what i've done over the past few weeks out of the very little free time that I have.

This is just some demon I wipped up, because I wanted something to animate that I could give character to. His pinky is a tad ... crippled in the running animation, and I think his head warps a tad in both of them. The two before the last are color swaps, and the last is a small mockup with the character against the background. I never did the attack animation (its still not even finished), and doubt I ever will.

I guess this is his kid, or something. I was impressed at how good this turned out to be ( not in a cocky sense; i just never felt that confident about animating ). The bottom one is a colorswap ( and also tweaked the legs ).

A Boktai inspired mockup (320x240). Always loved the view ( not sure what its called ), and thought I'd give it a try. Creating tiles in this view is probably one of the most difficult tasks i've run into pixelling, but it was really fun to do. Some tiles may be out of place, i'm not sure. I'm so fucking proud of it, though.

And a bird smoking ... which I advise you to 2x, because its difficult to distinguish anything at 1x.

Thanks goes out to Madgarden for helping me on the animations. Comments are critique are appreciated. :)

« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 02:10:45 am by Darion »
@darionmccoy

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: What up, Gs

Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 02:19:17 am
Oh, treats! Thank you for posting, Darion, I adore your art. The running animations of demon tub sure could use being faster a bit or more than a bit. Kid is just great all-around. The colourswap wastes those middle orange to pink shades though, too close to each other.

Offline Akira

• Heheheh
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 02:30:23 am
Ack. these are some of the best pixels i've seen in a long time. You make me want to animate all over the place. Boktai mockup is swish too.
Have you worked on any published games i could check out?

Only crits are the demon animations are a bit slow like helm mentioned. Also the smokin bird's smoke seems to jump.
thanks Dogmeat!

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 03:25:00 am
Really nice character shown in the animations. I really like it when you animate just because it's always interesting to look at, nothing is too rigid or bland.

I also really enjoy your palettes. The greens and reds that dominate in your style lately are beautiful. Although I don't like the red mixed with black in the mockup. I've never been into black being used that much and especially with red, that's a preference issue though.

It almost makes me want to give animation another shot, but I know I'll end up quitting.

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 03:55:45 am
speachless... :o
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #5 on: March 19, 2006, 03:57:07 am
First Xion and now you? I sure hope this becomes a new animation wave in Pxpolis ;D see? I told you it really is easy and fun.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 19, 2006, 04:00:02 am
im in love with the ax wielding boktai view monster, it just pwns.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #7 on: March 19, 2006, 05:14:22 am
very stylish, I like the neon look you've got going on.

Offline DrDerekDoctors

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 19, 2006, 09:54:08 am
S'very nice indeed! Love the look of it although it'd be interesting to see if a whole game could have that look without it getting a bit monotonous.

Particularly love the Boktai thing because I'm a whore for isometric.
--

DrDerekDoctors

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #9 on: March 19, 2006, 10:04:54 am
all very nice, i especially like the demon's kid sprite, Im a sucker for neat clean sprites with smooth animations

and the boktai inspired image is planometric btw ;)
Life without knowledge is death in disguise