AuthorTopic: Mirror's Edge - Celeste  (Read 8423 times)

Offline LoTekK

• View Profile
    • LoTekK.com

Mirror's Edge - Celeste

on: January 14, 2010, 06:32:42 am
Did up a handheld-spec model of Celeste from Mirror's Edge. Still need to work a bit on the texture (and possibly tweak the UVs). 506 tris, 128 texture.

Offline Jakten

• The Bionic Vapor Boy
    • View Profile
    • Levitating Rocksquatch

Re: Mirror's Edge - Celeste

Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 07:21:09 am
I'm glad to see a resurgence of posts in this section  ;D

Could you post the wire frame and texture map possibly? It's looking really good so far, the only real problem that stands out immediately is her face, her brow and cheeks are too pronounced I think.

Offline LoTekK

• View Profile
    • LoTekK.com

Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 07:14:18 am
Sure thing. Haven't had a chance to do anything more than a couple minutes of touch up here and there, so i'll wait on the texture update.

The face has been a bit of a back and forth fight, since the concept art that i'm working off of has her with very prominent features (more pronounced, in fact, than the texture i've currently got). I'll have to play with it a bit more.

Offline Jakten

• The Bionic Vapor Boy
    • View Profile
    • Levitating Rocksquatch

Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 09:08:58 am
I knew this looked familiar! Ha ha I've seen you on Polycount I never made the connection for some reason.

Yeah now that I look at an image of her again she does have very pronounced cheek bones. I think it's just that you made them a bit to large maybe. I also think her hair should pull into her temple area more and the top part should look more like a pomp.

The model looks really nice, I think the only crit i've got is that you should put a few more polys into the elbow so it bends properly.

Good stuff :D

Offline sculptedpixel

• abusing pixels since 1989
    • View Profile
    • sculptedpixel.org

Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 07:14:48 am
LoTekk that's nice - perhpas there could be a bit more contrast between the pants & shoes to help define those forms, but you've done a great job of capturing the important bits;  I can't remember:  is her hip supposed to be canted or was her pants/beltline slightly off level?  there's something that's supposed to be an oblique line around her waist, but it looks now like it may just be lack of pose...

Jakten - I think there's a lot of people who frequent both (tho I mostly lurk everywhere).
"If you can’t beat them, arrange to have them beaten." — George Carlin

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 03:59:36 pm
This has less to do with lowspec 3d but :

Celeste has one of the most fucked examples of facial anatomy ever allowed into a finished game.  Here are the most convenient examples.  Even more fucked than fish-girl from Assassins Creed 2.  This doesn't mean it's not a good character (I'll let someone else make that call) or that she's not well developed in the game (haven't played it except an in-store demo), but what it comes down to in my mind is :

Should we copy the glaring errors of other designers in reproducing their characters?  The sort of failure you see with the development of her face is clearly from a lack of skill or perception rather than style or tastes.

My vote is paint the cheeks softer (not soft, just softer) and the brow less deeply.  Also overall there's a bluring going on - i think it would work better if you relied on more precise renderings, particularly among the eyes and lips (which should be sharp).  This would allow you to soften back other forms which maintaining a good facial construction.  As a last thing, I tihnk the whole front-pelvic-region should be lifted on the UV - the belt swings too low to be stylish or functional (just gives the impression of a sunken but round tummy) and the bellybutton is getting stangely extended.

Luckly you have a very effective model so these changes are all cosmetic.  Good on you for that :)
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.