AuthorTopic: Chibi RPG Base  (Read 6101 times)

Offline XxJUICExX

• View Profile

Chibi RPG Base

on: January 12, 2010, 03:40:11 am
Well, here's a Chibi RPG base that I'm making for fun.  I really need help on the sides, I just can't seem to come up with anything.  Also, which run looks better.  As you can see, it's clearly not completed, but i want to get all 4 directions for 'idol' done first, before starting antyhing real.

Offline Jakten

• The Bionic Vapor Boy
    • View Profile
    • Levitating Rocksquatch

Re: Chibi RPG Base

Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 05:48:32 am
Nice little muscle babies! The shadow on their face is kind of strange to me, when I first looked at it I thought someone socked him in the nose :o.

I think I prefer the top row run. You should post the side views  ;D

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 11:44:11 am
The walk does not make sense. When you're walking, you never let your feet touch the ground next to each other.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 01:03:34 pm
They're not bad!

(hey that should be "idle"!)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 05:41:37 am by Mathias »

Offline XxJUICExX

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 07:43:39 pm
Gil, I realize you don't.  But that's how i've always been making walking, and I personally think it looks fine.  And for the running, its supposed to be at 1/10sec delay.  But thanks for animating it anyways.  And I haven't posted the side view, cause thats mainly what i posted for.  I've never really been good at side views, and I really need help with it.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 08:11:37 pm
it may be a standard in the RPG industry to make crappy senseless walks, but it's defintively not a good practice. So, if you're posting for suggestions understand that this walk is NOT well made regardless of how commonplace it might seem, if you really want to make something that looks good drop the walk.

Try the sideways walk, you'll realize the motion makes no sense

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 08:28:30 pm
Thanks for the backup Conceit.

It doesn't look like he's walking. Period. There's no discussion about it. Also, his head is going up when he puts his foot down. That's another impossibility.

I can understand it if this is for RPG maker, I've had to do similar walks because of the limitation. I really wish someone would explain the idiocy of 2 frame + 2 idle walks to the RPG Maker team.

I made these years ago (2002 I think). They were used for a project that required the same restriction. They have side views. Might be of help to you. Sorry for the poor quality. I was still pretty young back then.

Offline XxJUICExX

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 09:27:12 pm
I think i'm doing my run/walk backwards, thats why his head goes up when his foot goes to the ground.  I imagined it then when he would rise, i wasn't thinking of it being the state in your walk when your feet are spread apart on the ground.  But anyways, I see what your saying now.  I'm just not sure how to do this walk, I might try to make it 8framed. *Well heres what I came up with, decided not to use 8fra[imgmes.
... Only think is the arm kinda jerks down, and the feet cylce looks wierd.  Don't really know how to fix it, help would be appreciated :).
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 09:45:06 pm by XxJUICExX »

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 10:16:24 pm
I agree that most of the time the alternating legs + idle frame walks look terrible, but I don't think every walk needs to have 6+ frames. I think this walk actually works, and looks pretty good for it's purpose. I think this walk works because the limbs are so stylistically distorted that when they are together, it doesn't look like they are standing on the ground together, it looks like they are passing each other. It's just a very stylized way of animating, to go along with the highly stylized type of sprite.

Offline XxJUICExX

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 10:20:50 pm
If you're talking about the first walk I made.  Thats what I thought about it as well, just a frame to transitioning one frame to the next, so it looks more smooth.  But, I do think I still need to fix more stuff on it If I were to were to choose that one.

Offline rustEdge

• that guy
    • View Profile

Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 12:04:08 am
What everyone earlier mentioned, a walk cycle does not have any frame that matches a standing pose. That specific walk cycle is similar to Pokemon, but it was used so they could save two frames from the walk cycle and the idle stance. Then again, on the latter releases, they've also updated the main character's run cycle. It is more dynamic, but they still left the walk animation as-is. I think it's just because transitioning from walking to standing still happens so often that they didn't bother to update.

Back on the topic... Here are a couple of quick cycles I did. both use 4 frames each.

Shifting the weight of one leg on the in-between frames gives a more dynamic feel to the character. Also take note of the running animation. There is a frame where the character begins to go down, absorbing the impact of his footfall. (arms aren't that great, i know. but they do give a bit of character, aye?)

The original walking loop looks more like he's sliding on the floor, like he's on skates.

These tweaks shouldn't be that big of a bother. Hope this helps...

Offline JaJitsu

• View Profile
    • JaJitsu.com

Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 05:06:39 am
that base is pretty cool. i like it.

I like this run better though.