AuthorTopic: (WIP)Tileset  (Read 3760 times)

Offline len

• View Profile

(WIP)Tileset

on: January 11, 2010, 09:56:05 pm
Hello I've been attempting to create a tileset similar in style to that of zyndikate's RPG tileset http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=5291.0;all
I was wondering if anyone can give me any advise

Offline vierbit

• 0.09 posts per day
    • View Profile

Re: (WIP)Tileset

Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 10:22:33 pm
Looks good so far, the shapes and the shading looking alright.
But apparently you didnīt use a indexed palette, as there are way to many colours in here.
The other thing I noticed, its quit messy in some places. Lots of stray pixels here and there.

Offline newsomjk

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 12:08:56 am
The line of the bunched up sand is very choppy. if it's in sand I feel like you should go back and make that as smooth as possible.

I think it looks great other than that. I'd like to see the water tiles. And I really love the steps, that's my favorite part of this. Very nice job.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 12:35:10 pm
Ooh remarkable work so far. Beautiful construction. Everytime I see a nice set like this I want to start on one of my own, but I don't have a workflow in place. Photoshop is a joke for making tilesets.

Since it's walkable ground, those rocky ground tiles on the left may be a bit busy and cause contrast problems, such as when sprites get lost/are less readable. The 3-step stairs seem to have a different hue than the cliff rocks.
As vierbit said, the general pixeling style is erratic with it's pixel placement, but maybe that contributes to a more natural gritty texturing. It's just that when zoomed in for inspection things look very messy.
And the color count in your image is beyond 256. You should stop what you're doing and reign in that palette first thing.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 02:49:49 pm
I agree with what's been said so far; it does have a very messy style that I think would benefit from some cleaning up. I'm not a big fan of what seems like very random placement of dithering(just random spotting on the rocks, for example). It make it look like a color reduction or something -- this is more readily apparent on the stairs. Cleaning that up and replacing it with either a smoother coloring or a more structured dithering will go so far. Same can be said for the AA in the piece, for example on the dune already mentioned. While on the subject of the dune, I find while the technique is solid, the shape of the dune is very unnatural. It's so short in length, but so high. As well as the height doesn't seem to follow any sort of natural shaping(the ends fading into the sand). It doesn't look like something you'd find naturally formed in the desert. While making it longer will probably not be a possibility, you can make it look more natural by making it maybe half the height and maybe make the shape a little less dramatic.