AuthorTopic: Any Tips for make this better?  (Read 8377 times)

Offline Marcpixels

• Haha!
    • View Profile

Re: Any Tips for make this better?

Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 03:16:18 pm
More Edit.. Its look nice now..

Offline Mush

• View Profile
    • MushSauce

Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 10:42:11 pm
Try to apply this to your entire picture:

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: January 09, 2010, 11:49:20 pm
Horizon is always the brightest part of the sky, and it darkens the higher up you go, just saying, if you reintroduce different sky colors. I like it as it is now though.
' _ '

Offline Marcpixels

• Haha!
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: January 10, 2010, 03:43:14 am
Final?

Offline 7321551

• a.k.a. Jarrad
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: January 10, 2010, 05:44:29 am
Wow - big improvement!

The most noticeable thing is that the shadows of the birds & especially the balloon appear to as if being projected onto a wall. That because the shape of the shadows is the same as the objects, rather than of the surface of the ocean. All you really need to do is resize the shadows - make them shorter vertically. & while you're at it, you could make the shadows a little warped to indicate the waves.

Also, there are a few artifacts left around the outer edge of the umbrella. Mush's edit is invaluable if you'd like to use AA.

Offline Mush

• View Profile
    • MushSauce

Reply #15 on: January 10, 2010, 07:08:06 am
Great update!

However, there are a few things that you could do to make it better.

• I would recommended getting rid of the shadows cast by the birds and balloon. They really don't make much sense.
  • Try to get rid of the jaggies (most notably on the birds).
  • You did a good job smoothing out the edges on the outside of of the bucket but you forgot to anti alias the inside edges. If I were you, I would anti alias everything in the picture; it may take a bit of effort, but it will be worth it in the end.

Here are some tutorials to help you out (not made by me):

Offline Marcpixels

• Haha!
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: January 11, 2010, 04:40:40 pm

Better now?.. i really dont know too much of AA But doing my best try

Animated Change

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #17 on: January 12, 2010, 01:45:10 am
Ambitious piece to undertake!

Piece is improving, but I want to point out that approaching pieces of art with this kind of "make it up as you go" approach will cause endless headaches for you, and ultimately make art that doesn't meet its full potential. Plan pieces from the outset. There's little apparent thought gone into the composition. It seems more like a bunch of different items dropped in together. Just something to keep in mind.

There's no real shading in the piece. Each object basically just appears as it would if there was a completely uniform white light, or is very minorly shaded independent of the rest of the picture (compare the shading of the bucket to the balloon to the umbrella). To put it another way, everything is coloured, but not shaded. It's a near-flat value image. The balloon's specular implies a near midday sun as the lightsource, which I think matches the setting. You need to decide on a lightsource and really bring out the lit and shadowed parts of the picture.

Perspective is arbitrary throughout the image. The bottom right is isometric, immediately above it seems to be a non-oblique pespective for the shoreline (it looks far away because of how small it is), it's like the umbrella and chairs are at the top of a dune and the shore is farther away at the bottom of it and the slope follows our line of sight. Horizon is an oblique front-view perspective. All of this gives a sense of flatness, and combined with the arbitrary composition leads to a complete break in the punch of the piece.

The way you have lightened some buildings in the city is also arbitrary. The reason buildings get lighter and closer to the sky colour is because of "aerial perspective". It's because the further away something gets from the eye, the more atmosphere/air the light has to travel through to reach the eye, and the more scattered it becomes, changing its colour and contrast. I think that's the physical explanation, anyway. All you need to know is, the further away something is, the closer it gets to the sky colour. You currently have some buildings which are nearer that are lighter than buildings further away, which looks bizarre.

I assume that's lightning coming from the cloud? If so, I say remove it. It's entirely inconsistent with the rest of the setting. A bright, clear day at the beach, with a single cloud in the sky casting lightning?

Still a lot of broken line noisiness (shoreline, for instance). I'd say at this stage of your pixelling, keep it a basic rule to have your lines unbroken. Broken lines create a lot of isolated pixel clusters in noisy patterns, and AA isn't really the way to solve that.

Best of luck  :)