AuthorTopic: Please tell me what the diffrent pixel art and sprite art?i dont get it..  (Read 5916 times)

Offline silverpurple

• From nothing to something
    • View Profile
explain me please...
i want learn more about sprite art..and how can i make sprite art??
from zero to hero

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile
As far as I can tell they are used interchangeably, but the term sprite art is applied to in game graphics, particularly characters, monsters and the like. Sprite art can also apply to 2d game graphics that are not pixel art, that is digi-painted, pre-rendered or what have you.

Offline Jakten

• The Bionic Vapor Boy
    • View Profile
    • Levitating Rocksquatch
Yeah I'd say pixel art refers to images that stand on their own away from games. Imagine a painting only done in a more precise manner.

Sprites are more typically made out of pixels but could be vector graphics or even 3d models are still referred to as sprites sometimes I believe. Sprites would encompass things like Characters, enemies, items things you interact with. Background elements are classed as tiles.

Pixel art generally refers to both a stand alone image or a video game sprite though.

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
"In computer graphics, a sprite is a two-dimensional/three-dimensional image or animation that is integrated into a larger scene."

Therefore I would say sprite-art is defined as anything created with either the purpose of what's stated above or perhaps derived or inspired by it.

Pixel-art involves the use of pixels as a prime focus and element in the creation of a piece of creative work. I'd say. Sprite-art can be pixel-art, but not all sprite-art is pixel-art and not all pixel-art is sprite-art.

Offline silverpurple

• From nothing to something
    • View Profile
ohhh....so eboy is pixel art and thats not sprite art..
sprite art use for 2d games..
isnt it hard make sprite art?
i saw in youtube how to make sprite art..and i think its more hard than make some vector..am i correct?
from zero to hero

Offline Jakten

• The Bionic Vapor Boy
    • View Profile
    • Levitating Rocksquatch
It depends, if you want to do a simple sprite chances are it won't be very difficult but if you wanted to make something like a Castlevania sprite it might take a lot of work because you have to take things like readability and some other things into account before you just whip a bunch of detail on it. Something like Kirby would be easier. But no matter how simple the pixel art is there is a certain amount of formulas you need to understand before you can make things look really clean and polished. 

I would say Eboy does pixel art that is inspired by isometric video game sprites.

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
isnt it hard make sprite art?

Well it requires some effort to make anything well, in what ever art genre. They all (well... unless they don't by definition for some reason) require practice.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile
A sprite is a very generic term, typically referring to any 2D stand-alone image. You might say that eboy does nothing but sprites. eboy is actually a three person group which creates endless amounts of sprites for various reasons, often compiling them into huge iso scenes. I'd call each of our avatars in here sprites.

And a sprite isn't necessarily pixel art either. It could just as easily be full-color. The game Aquaria is full of sprites, is it not?

Offline vierbit

• 0.09 posts per day
    • View Profile
I personally donīt see a difference between them actually. Sure, creating (animated) sprites is a bit different than drawing some background tiles, but at the end of the day its both just a bunch of pixels.
That is, if we talking strictly about pixelart. As Mathias already pointed out, a sprite can also be a pre rendered or digital painted graphic.
When speaking of sprites in games you usually refer to objects or graphics that are independent from the background.   

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page
'Sprite' is a term for game development, not just game art. It refers to any 2D object brought into the game as an object, rather than as a background or larger piece of artwork. Technically, a sprite doesn't even need to be made from pixel art, it can be brushed together in Photoshop or even made from a photo. Of course, technically, 'pixel art' doesn't necessarily mean something is drawn dot by dot, since any 2D image that can be displayed online is pixel art.

*shrugs*

Typically, the term 'sprite' is used for characters of objects in a 2D pixel game.