AuthorTopic: Character sketch  (Read 18302 times)

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Re: Character sketch

Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 01:41:05 am
I disagree. I think the whole aesthetic of the original is based on the black lines and I find it looks wonderful that way. In fact, I prefer Chris stylized line widths by far over the lackluster graphics and concept design of "The World Ends With You", because there the black lines really do nothing to back up the form at all. There's tons of examples of good varied line work that could help Chris, but I don't consider TWEWY to be one of them.

Offline iggybork

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 02:30:53 am
I disagree. I think the whole aesthetic of the original is based on the black lines and I find it looks wonderful that way. In fact, I prefer Chris stylized line widths by far over the lackluster graphics and concept design of "The World Ends With You", because there the black lines really do nothing to back up the form at all. There's tons of examples of good varied line work that could help Chris, but I don't consider TWEWY to be one of them.

I had this feeling I was asking for trouble by using TWEWY; I guess I was right! :lol: I'll rephrase my point: When I look at the animation, the black outline makes me go, "huh?" It looks really good from a short distance, but if I look too closely, all I see is that chunk of black pixels on the back of his head. But, I'll admit, if he were in an environment done in this style, chances are I'd love it. All opinion and context, I suppose. I picked TWEWY because, to me, the hard outlines convey a mood and are representative of the game world. Whether or not the graphics are art or even good, they set the tone of the game. I think I was moments away from asking whether the Chis's black line shading was artistic intent or just a test, but if we start talking about artistic intent then the focus will start shifting away from the WIP. (And we'll all get mad at each other and I'll sound like an idiot. Yay, internet!)

What examples were you thinking of?

A thousand apologies for sounding pretentious, I promise to do better next time and spend more time pixeling than I do C+Cing. :-[

Offline Chis

• My name does not have an r
    • View Profile
    • o'er at pixeljoint

Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 01:17:33 am
I imagine that variable black outlines can add some artistic flavor even if it isn't edgy - if done correctly :( But I see your point.

Well, I actually had this game Scribble in mind, going with the bold crayonish theme, as well as Closure, but I guess both of them are also pretty edgy ...
Although yes, I was planning on a similar style for a game my character will star in.

By the way, she's a girl ;D

Offline bitterbug

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 06:18:21 am
I can't really offer anything in the way of critique, but I absolutely love the style and character of the original.
The highlight do seem to be overcooked, but for all I know they live on a planet with three suns :)

Offline Chis

• My name does not have an r
    • View Profile
    • o'er at pixeljoint

Reply #14 on: February 06, 2010, 09:33:01 pm
Thanks bitterbug! I'll think about the highlights.
Sorry if I'm necromancing this thread, but I recently made an outline for a jump animation.

Before I color anything, is there anything I should fix? (I'm sure there are.)
Responding to the style thing again, this is sort of what I was going for. (Ignore fail animation plz)
It's from a commission I did on Gaia, but I was pretty fond of the messy splintered look. I didn't quite adapt it on my sprites, but I plan to soon :)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 01:08:19 am by Chis »

Offline Lizzrd

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: February 07, 2010, 01:08:40 pm
The impact looks a bit weird at the head, becasue the hair is floating and not settling soon enough, while the head just stays at the same height compared to the torso.
Photocopier: the fact that arne can also code so well
Photocopier: is horrificly unfair

Offline twodayslate

• View Profile
    • twitter

Reply #16 on: February 07, 2010, 04:26:14 pm
The jumping does seem to be very floaty.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #17 on: February 08, 2010, 08:27:59 am
The jumping does seem to be very floaty.
And I love it that way. I was about to spot that timing could be adjusted for more realistic physics and stuff, but it actually gives us the feeling that she is "lifted" while jumping, e.g. by bottom-up blowing wind, which gives a magical touch perfectly fitting the freshness of the character. I think you could even reinforce this by allowing more intermediate position to the arms in the jump/fall transition unless you're already doing the max of the #frames you're "allowed" to use.

Maybe only the feet could turn to "fully extended" earlier to convey the impulse she gives to jump off.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: February 08, 2010, 11:42:09 am
hair needs to follow the landing downwards, I think O: just put some frames of 'hair-weighed-down' in there and you'll be all set! O:
' _ '

Offline xbogx

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: February 08, 2010, 02:38:12 pm
seems to me like she should crouch more if she's gonna jump that high. it looks like low gravity the way it is now