AuthorTopic: Isometric Tile Set [WIP]  (Read 5681 times)

Offline The_Line

• View Profile

Isometric Tile Set [WIP]

on: May 29, 2010, 10:18:49 am
Hey, I'm sorta new to the world of Pixel art. So I read a load of tuts and put together a map type thing with Grass water and a tree  ;D The 32x32 tiles and objects are at the bottom left
I would appreciate CC, and no comments like 'it's crap' without a reason.

-Thanks
 The_Line

Offline The 7th Sin

• View Profile

Re: Isometric Tile Set [WIP]

Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 12:57:47 pm
Hey man I just saw a few things I thought might be beneficial to the work.

I hope this can help you out with this piece. :)

Offline The_Line

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 01:51:23 pm
Thanks, I'll try the shadows and the texture now...but the tree, any tips on how to do that?

Oh and I'll try adding some reeds :P

« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 01:54:55 pm by The_Line »

Offline lithander

• View Profile
    • www.pixelpracht.net

Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 10:55:14 pm
So, I tried to create a "better" tree...

I'm a programmer that just got interested in (pixel)art to be able to make his own assets for hobby projects. So it's not great but I'm going to explain what I tried to do and why:

First I made the trunk and then imagined the tree sourrounding it. It's conical shaped and has volume so I just added a lighter green and traced the curvature of the tree-cone. (3rd Image) This helps a lot making the tree look three-dimensional.

The next step I tried to add details but lost the lines a little. The tree looks flatter then in the 3rd image. But at least the surface is obviously ruffled now so it looks more organic. To make it look ruffled I tried to shade the "green" of the treetop by deciding wether pixels would be facing up or down. Pixels facing up received a lighter green, pixels facing down received a darker green. Adding light and shadow is what usually gives depth to an image. If you don't do it or you don't do it correctly your brain will still recognize the tree because of its silhouette and color but it won't be able to make a 3-dimensional representation of the 2d image. If you look at the trunk of my tree - it seems as if the left side receives a little more light then the other. This really helps - if you know where the light source you can deduct in what direction a pixel faces and from that construct the object. (Amazing, what our brains are capable of in terms of image processing) Sadly I messed up in the leaf area - I just considered top/down directions but based on what light direction the trunk suggests the left side of the treetop should have received more "light" pixels then the right side. Also thinking a tree is "green conical shaped and ruffled" is maybe a little too simple to create a "realistic" image of a tree! A reference picture or a bit more fantasy might have helped...

Hmm... been rambling a bit. If anyone of the pro's disagrees with my self analyzation and wants to point out other errors I made I'm glad to learn! :)

Offline Lizzrd

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 11:05:07 am
The third step you got there looks quite interesting really.
Photocopier: the fact that arne can also code so well
Photocopier: is horrificly unfair

Offline The_Line

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 11:08:18 am
Woah, thats one awesome looking tree :P, I'll give that a bash later on, thanks!