AuthorTopic: Wild Guns Mock Up  (Read 4681 times)

Offline Mush

• View Profile
    • MushSauce

Wild Guns Mock Up

on: November 03, 2010, 03:06:06 am
I started to make a mock up for a Wild Guns (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Guns) type of game. I began pixelling on my laptop, and finished on another screen, so the colors may be off. My laptop's colors are extremely desaturated, and the other LCD seems to be oversaturated. How does it look to you? Is the green in the ground noticeable? Tips on anatomy would be helpful too.

Ref: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_s9wYcRc1twY/SXm4bsC6fOI/AAAAAAAABgw/1QCkuEeqSBs/s400/loomis_FIGURE_draw-19.jpg and Wild Guns screenshots

« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 03:11:51 am by Mush »

Offline buddy90

• View Profile

Re: Wild Guns Mock Up

Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 06:50:49 am
The calves are kind of short, and the floor isn't very noticeable, but it looks like you're off to a good start here.

Offline Mush

• View Profile
    • MushSauce

Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 05:43:32 am
Gave him some clothes.

Offline frankygfisher

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 08:24:26 am
  :y: very nice!

what weapon are you planning to put on him?

Offline Mush

• View Profile
    • MushSauce

Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 12:06:07 am
I began doing a perspective test with cubes, but somehow they turned into crates. I added a palm tree and suddenly the mock up turned into one of those stereotypical commando games. The tree is very rudimentary; I just wanted to lay the shapes down first. Shadows are screwed up.

frank: The game will have a variety of guns. Wild guns.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 12:21:04 am by Mush »

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 12:21:38 pm
This isn't comment or critique, so I appologize, but this character would be very cool for a third person mode 7 sort of thing.  Does anybody know if anything like this that has been done?  Like, third person Wolfenstein?
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 12:52:49 pm

please consider this edit

1. avoid single pixels, generally. if a pixel doesn't belong to a cluster, it'll read as noise mostly and it's a prime candidate for creating banding around it.

there are situations where a single pixel is a great specular highlight however, like in the ear, but keep it to a minimum, I suggest

2. banding is a thing you should look out for. You didn't have a big problem with it in this image but all the little things you can fix make the end result that 5% better!

3. the biggest problem was that the legs felt too big and the upper body too small. This wasn't so much because of actual metric error (about which you have a lot of leeway in such a small sprite)but because of the malformed shoulders/foreshortened arm area, where you've made some dodgy choices, I think.