AuthorTopic: COA Navbar Tutorial  (Read 2430 times)

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

COA Navbar Tutorial

on: March 18, 2006, 09:02:12 am
 After I've made the new nav bar for my site, I've decided to wirte a tutorial on how to make my style of nav bars.

1. Draw the outline of the shape of your nav bar. Make their height high. I use mine as a rectangle.

2. Cut the corners of the shape diagnally. This will create the mechanical shape.

3. Carve a hole on the interior and make the shape the same as your navbar's outline's shape.

4. Add details especially wires, engines, mechanical stuff, etc.

5. Flesh in the flat colors for the parts.

6. Apply tone to it. Vary the hues of the shades. The tones should have high contrast so the navbar's parts appears 3d. When shading the parts, you should apply plenty of details to the shading. Having details of the shading will make the nav bar not look like those hi-res images and get smaller shading areas. 

7. Illuminate it. Giving it bright highlights is our goal now.

8. Finally, our last step is to add reflections to the glass.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 09:05:32 am by Andy Tran »

Offline Lick

• Formerly known as JointJunkie! ;)
    • View Profile
    • yup

Re: COA Navbar Tutorial

Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 08:56:50 pm
Perhaps you could add a bit more style of shape in here. I see very random shading, and the palette is a bit 'dry'. You could also add some buttons to bring it more to life.

I like the way you have an image for each step, but perhaps you could divide it into seperate files, and put the texts under each image. Easier to follow and a final animated progress is always a pleasure to watch.  ;D ;)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 08:58:40 pm by Lick »
my ds homebrew blog! - contact me if you're interested to work with me on a ds game.

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Re: COA Navbar Tutorial

Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 07:43:01 am
 Yeah, I should do that. Good advice.