AuthorTopic: Help on head  (Read 8083 times)

Offline Zweckform

• Monks shouldn't pixel
    • View Profile

Help on head

on: January 06, 2010, 07:31:36 am
Hello,

i considered this one finished,but i am willing to improve whenever i can. sharprm critized this pieces much on pixeljoint and he helped improving it much.

Some stated the eyes were not exactly in the middle of the head. I know that, but still i think its not in unnatural way. But it still might be that its odd for most people.

So i want the harshes possible fair criticism you got to improve this. Even if you just think its boring let me know.  ;)

Uses 13 colors atm.

Current version:

« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 07:03:16 pm by Zweckform »

Offline WM

• cubist
    • View Profile

Re: Help on head

Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 07:37:37 am
His right eye needs to be lowered so that it is even with his left eye, his left eye needs to be shifted a little bit to our right (a little!), and that vein on the neck runs at the same angle as the beard that is receding behind the head, making them look to be one and the same (just break this straight line to separate the two).

Beyond that, looking good! Not only does it have a solid palette, it has a nice air of character to it; a solemn, insightful, and aged man.  :y:

Offline Zweckform

• Monks shouldn't pixel
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 04:13:53 pm
Hello,

thanks for the kind words and your hints. You are right about the eyes - its quite silly how you cannot see such things anymore sometimes you stared too long at your own work.

I am sure i would have recognized the same thing in other peoples work easily.

But i don't get the thing about the vein - there is supposed to be a sternocleidomastoid muscle which shouldn't be interupted. But if it can be read as one, i should rework that.
Or maybe you ment another region ?

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 08:21:03 pm
Hey zweck I've been meaning to crit this for a while. I wrote like 2 crits then scrapped them, and did half an edit then scrapped it.

- The eyes ARE too far up. It's not subjective, I measured the pixels. 35 from the top of the head to the middle of the pupil. Then, 35 pixels only gets from the middle of the pupil to just below the lower lip. The top of the head needs to be enlarged, or the eyes moved down. This is by far the biggest hindrance on the piece.

- The way you are texturing the skin makes it look a lot like clay. You have many fine little groups of pixels suggesting a sort of bumpy uneven texture, but skin isn't like that, not even weatherbeaten rough skin. Also, there is a very homogeneous ramp from the shadows to the highlights, with very even steps between the darkest shadow to the highlight. This is adding the to clay feel, because skin isn't like that. Skin always has oil on it, which reflects quite strongly when hit directly by light, and the parts not directly hit by strong light act differently then having a straight ramp into more and more desaturated and darker colors. Someone on this board said that a lot of skin shadows are more highly saturated then some of the lighted parts. I can't really describe to you how skin acts under light exactly, first because I don't understand it thoroughly, second because I don't think there is a formula for it really. Just avoid straight ramps, and use highlights to indicate the oily and wet nature of skin.

- The mouth is way too straight, like someone cut his face open with a scalpel. Lips, even tight ones, don't have such a perfect shape and to see these straight lines in the middle of the face is a little jarring. Also, lips are wet! use highlights to convey this.

- The beard... I am not good enough at doing hair to help you out here beyond saying it doesn't look right. The clumps are too uniform in size, and there is too much pixel noise. It makes it look like steel wool, or sandpaper or something.

- The strenocledomastoid is much thicker then you have drawn it, and changes thickness throughout. Thicken it up especially at the top.

Anyway, if you look at the right (our right) eye and that section of the nose, it is well done. The pixel clusters are large and meaningful, it looks very 3D like it should.

Sorry for the lack of edit, but I was getting frustrated because I couldn't really edit this very easily, with all the small bits of pixel blending things together. I'd have to just draw over everything, and i don't feel like doing that. I was kind of hoping someone with more skill would come in and do something like that *cough*eyecraft*cough*. He did that for my Helm copy and it helped me immensely.

Offline Zweckform

• Monks shouldn't pixel
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 04:45:50 am
Hello,

NaCl: thanks for the lots of input. I will study all parts you mentioned. Hopefully i can do an update this weekend. 

Offline Zweckform

• Monks shouldn't pixel
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 05:58:57 pm
Hello,

so now i looked at some beards, checked my anatomy book and and watched some images for skin reflections.

After that i reworked the fella - waiting for C&C.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 06:35:36 pm by Zweckform »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 08:09:34 pm

just a fast lips edit

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 08:50:05 pm
Well, the latest is a huge improvement on the shading and colors, but his head still looks really squashed, it seems like you started the face in a 100x100 box and just crammed the top of the head in as an afterthought. Here's a cheap noggin edit:

That would be something closer to reality, I may have gone a bit too big, but it's closer, anyway.

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 02:57:43 am
Just want to say it's really good progress you've made on this piece so far.

Edit of Pawige's edit; bit rough but I hope it communicates my thoughts:

The nose and mouth look too low to me. Face reads as very flat due to the sparse shadow and relatively even highlight distribution. Ear appears out of perspective - too low and forward. Draw the midpoint lines for the front and side planes of the skull, it really helps for plotting things out.

Regarding skin tones, it can be a little complicated. Arne has some very nice points on it here: http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm#skin_tones

Additionally, the face has different hues going on in different areas. The cheeks, bottom of nose, lips and ears are more red due to increased blood circulation. The forehead and brow are yellower and bonier. Entire jaw area is slightly greener and less saturated due to facial hair and whiskers.

Spend some colours on making his clothes a different hue to his skin. Blue could be a good choice. This might bring a little more colour interest into the subject.

Offline Zweckform

• Monks shouldn't pixel
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 05:27:45 am
Hello,

wow, thanks for all the nice comments and of course above all the input folks, seems some additional work is waiting for me  ;)

@helm: nice edit on the lips, i like the texture you added to them.

@Pawige: I should have increased the res of the thing for sure. I guess i was a bit focused on the content and forgot to look beyond. In the first place i did not want to do a 100% standard head. But now i think i should use this opportunity to refresh and expand my anatomy knowlegde.

@EyeCraft: I will give him some clothes and turn the pic into a bust-like thing (is that the right term ?). I still have the habit to be very penurious with colours due since my Atari times, need to get rid of it and think more about the single piece and what its aimed at. Great hint with the different hues, haven't considered that yet.

Next version might take a bit, got a busy week, but whenever i got some energy left i will continue on it.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 05:37:01 am by Zweckform »