AuthorTopic: Black Waltz no. 3  (Read 7576 times)

Offline The Cold Mage

• Allez Cuisine Bitch!
    • View Profile
    • Ice Temple

Black Waltz no. 3

on: March 18, 2006, 01:20:40 am

this was my first non-halfassed attempt at a sprite with feathered wings. how does it look? any suggestions?

Offline Crazy Asian Gamer

• Guess who follows trends?
    • View Profile
    • CAG's NONEXISTANT Page... of DOOM

Re: Black Waltz no. 3

Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 01:55:08 am
Touche. Je suis enchante par ton... errr... image... brilliante. (Excusez moi pour mon francais.... crappy).  ;D

I am feeling a bit wanting in regards to his face. It's as if it's just a nose and a beard. If you do decide to dramatize the shadow from the hat, include the nose in the shadow (right now, reminding me of a certain Yosemite Sam).
Other than that, love your texturing. Tres belle.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 02:48:47 am
If it's a Black Mage from the final fantasy series, in order to remain loyal to the series, it would be necessary to have the face indistunguished and in a blackness.

I like the pants and the wings, CAG does have a point about casting the shadow further down. Also, the left sleeve (ours) looks wierd at the elbow.

It may just be me, but it looks a bit pillow shaded.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 07:30:18 am
I belive you are focusing too much on the independent feathers, it is more important to make the structure clear

http://www.birding.com/IDwing.asp http://www.birding.com/IDbody.asp
the biggest glaring error is the way you emphasized their borders, they dont really go trough the whole extension of the wing, they only go up to the wrist.
detailing a feather so much is only any use with the primary feathers, and even then I belive it should be done much more subtly, by going up/down a shade if anything.

The wings are also shaded in a borderline pillowshading way, which helps even more to make them look tacky. you shouldnt shade the lit and the shadowed parts the same way, because it flatterns the image, you need to decide on focus points so you can put the detail accordingly.

the bone structure is really weird on his right wing, it looks like it'd need an extra bone to bend the way it is while it does from the shoulder to the wrist.

Regarding the nose/eye in shadow, if you can honestly mistake an eye for a nose, there has to be something wrong with the picture. the lone eyes in the shadow should be mysterious and intriguing from a "what is he thinking" point of view, not a "what the hell is that supposed to be?" point of view.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 07:33:16 am by Camus »

Offline reydragk

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 08:13:40 am
I don't see a nose anywhere on that, guys...and I don't see that as a beard, it looks to me like the ruff of his coat

Offline Krizmo

• Yes, that is me.
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006, 03:46:17 pm
Wow. That is friggin brilliant. Keep up the good work, muvh love <3
Look for your friends, but do not trust a hope. It is forsaken these lands....

Offline The Cold Mage

• Allez Cuisine Bitch!
    • View Profile
    • Ice Temple

Reply #6 on: March 18, 2006, 04:42:17 pm
that link really didn't help camus  :P... those are of wings that are folded down, i need more help with open wings.

but yeah... the face is supposed to look like that, its a black mage.

once i get more feedback i'll see if i can go back and rework the details on the wings.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #7 on: March 19, 2006, 02:32:20 am
did you really check? those are two links, folded and unfolded, so that you can understand the mechanics of flapping

Offline The Cold Mage

• Allez Cuisine Bitch!
    • View Profile
    • Ice Temple

Reply #8 on: March 19, 2006, 02:45:18 am
ah, i see it now. that might help a bit. i'm not so sure if the model i based the wings on follow the traditional structure of an actual bird. from what i've seen the wings that characters have in games are exagurated a bit. for example Devil Jin has some abnormally structured wings. i'm not sure how they pull it off but they manage to get it to look realistic while still not being what a real bird wing would look like.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #9 on: March 19, 2006, 03:04:27 am
it is one thing to exagerate, and it's something entirely diferent to just drawing whitout knowing what the subject should look like. You have to learn wing structures before you can exagerate them according to your own aesthetic preference.

I dont know which game he's from, but I've checked a devil jin screenshot http://digilander.libero.it/pixel81/angel-jin.jpg and he has the same wing structure as the diagram, I think it might even have less coverts than the diagram.

http://www.gamersgallery.com/gallery/data/564/Devil_Jin1.jpg there is a promo picture that has one extra covert between the lesser and the median underwing coverts and another extra covert after the primaries I imagine to give a feel of richness.

I think the best angel wing refference out there is Gabriel from Constantine the movie, Keanu might've sucked as much ass as you want but those wings were godlike.