AuthorTopic: Food Warrior Remake [WIP]  (Read 4266 times)

Offline skamocore

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/10442.htm
    • View Profile

Food Warrior Remake [WIP]

on: January 05, 2010, 02:54:38 pm
I've been trying to redo an image I made a while ago for a challenge at PJ from 2007

I consider the head more or less finished now; but the body is a bit sloppy at the moment, I know. Anyway, gimme ya harshest anatomy critz  :wah:.

Original piece I submitted for the challenge:

-----------------------------------

current version:

*crossposted at PJ*
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 02:20:44 pm by skamocore »

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Re: Food Warrior Remake [WIP]

Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 03:17:02 pm
I like the original better. The new one is hardly identifiable as a fruit (just looks like crazy hair). The pose is very very generic bad fighter pose (no decent fighter stands like that).

Sure, the original lacks a few techniques you seemed to have picked up by now, but while the new one shows off a better understanding of forms and has a consolidated palette, it doesn't have the spirit, interesting pose and isn't as readable as the original.

The palette is also very contrasted, which further hampers readability.

Proper anatomy study is in order.
Forearms are very thin, legs are different width and length, pectorials are too wide, suggesting the body has no depth, both fists would fit in his mouth at the same time (try doing that in real life ;))

Offline Phones

• Darn Right
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 08:01:11 pm
I'd recommend making him more bulbous, perhaps like a bodybuilder in some senses, to show more that he is a fruit. Right now he looks just like an anime guy.

Offline Photocopier

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 09:09:01 pm
Pineapple?
try giving him that pineapple texture.

Offline skamocore

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/10442.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 02:20:58 pm

I've worked on the anatomy a bit more.

I'm hoping his hair looks less generic-anime-guy and more pineapple-leaf. I have also made his head a bit more elongated and hopefully more pineapplesque.

I played around with his face texture a bit, but I'm still strugling with getting a good pineapple texture at this size.

Also, I have modified the colours a bit.

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 07:45:28 pm
Hey ska, cool piece I think you're definitely moving in the right direction. I tried to tighten up the anatomy a bit in my edit, and make the head more pineapply:

There are two main things I dislikes:

- The feet have that vague floating in space feel, like the are not on solid ground. I tried to make mine feel solid, and like they were touching ground.
- If I saw this with no explanation, I don't think I'd realize it was a pineapple.

So I redid the feet, messed around with the legs to give more of an indication where the knees were, and tried to tighten up the forms of the arms. For the head, I went for what I consider to be a main aspect of what makes a pineapple a pineapple, which is the diamond shaped segments, and the green-ness in the creases of the diamond segments and on the leaves. I had to add another color, but if you don't want to do that you could probably either modify your current dark green color, or remove one of the skin colors for another green.

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 01:04:39 am
first thing I tried to fix is his arms are too short - but the more pervasive problem is that the guy is basically composed of blobs, all the muscle definition is in lighting /surface detail - you need to give him a more readable silhouette. practice more construction, define the shape of limbs, joints etc. I'm not great at this myself, but to give you the general idea: