AuthorTopic: Isometric bot...thing  (Read 11351 times)

Offline Darion

• View Profile
    • Portfolio bitch

Re: Isometric bot...thing

Reply #10 on: March 19, 2006, 10:15:48 pm
Oh, I love this. I think what you have now is great.I like the mood of the second one a lot more.

I do have one question, though. What is that bit coming from his neck to his ... thigh? It seems like a border or so, but its hard to make out. Unless hes made of rubber, you should add some kind of device that enables him to rotate his head, because it looks like his body is bending.

Nice job.
@darionmccoy

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #11 on: March 20, 2006, 09:22:49 am
...phew... that makes me glad.  ;D

look at these interesting results... based on my previous suggestion to ya... (yeah I know you said you're not keen on the look but I was curious to see what it might look like....)

So I did two tests, one where I darkened the rear leg and arm...which I think looks kinda nice. But I'm inclined to agree with you neverest that perhaps it wouldn't neccessarily work in ISO...

The second one based on what you were saying about not really liking that style, so I chose to go with what you're saying and compromise a bit with what I like to do with outlines... I'm not that keen on full black outlines, (as you may have noticed) so I thought I'd knock back those legs by tinting the outline... it's subtle... but I think it works... and is an interesting result.

It's interesting because the interior colors appear subdued... this is a perfect example of what I call 'tonal edging' - it may have a proper name but its something I discovered a long time ago.

I used to edge everything in black. But, one of the things with outlining in pixels is that the color you choose to outline and area with tends to effect the interior colors. An interesting experiment is do is to take a WHITE square and edge it with various color tones, see what happens to the white... it takes on the color of the edging. It tends to work better the smaller the area but It's an opticle illusion that one can take advantage of when pixeling... it's a bit like adding a color wash when painting on canvas in acrylic. 

Having said that Black edging does make sprites stand out it's true, but sometimes It can be overwhelmingling distracting and besides there are other ways to make your sprites jump out from the screen - I guess it comes down to design and style.

Generally speaking I very rarely use black in sprites these days. I use dark tones. Very dark tones. Really Deep Blue, Sometimes Purple... but that's just me...

Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline neverest

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: March 20, 2006, 06:41:01 pm
Actually they're both nice, and the tonal edging effect is certainly interesting.
If I were to use one I think I'd be inclined to go with the second one. Although the first is nice I feel it might be a bit severe if used in a game, particularly I was thinking if you had several of the bots onscreen - some in front of others might look a bit odd.
I like the subtlety of the second one, its enough to make those limbs stand deeper than the rest. It may even be an idea to go one step further and use the darkest blue to outline the torso and head, then perhaps make the black an almost-black and leave that on the nearest arm and leg.

with the black edging, its not something I always do, in fact I can say that i dont really have any set style yet, as until now I've only pixelled for whatever game I happen to be working on at the time.
It is something I'm quite fond of as a style sometimes, the only reason I used it on this was that the colours I was using reminded me of some pen & wash work I used to do, and I thought it would be nice to hint at that.

This was an update I did yesterday but never posted. I had missed some aa and I redid the barrel shine. Thats assuming its a gun and not an industrial leaf blower.

Offline vedsten

• boo
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: March 20, 2006, 06:59:20 pm
love how that piece is turning out, adorable colors as well as design, single crit: you might wanna remove the bottom part of the dark outline, defining the barrelhole and replace it with a highlight instead, keep it up

Offline BlackEye

• View Profile
    • blackeye.org

Reply #14 on: March 29, 2006, 12:18:21 pm
hey neverest

i guess there's someone ripping your art
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/30867704/

and i think this isn't you, because he also upped mockups from kenneth fejer
-blackeye-

Offline Lick

• Formerly known as JointJunkie! ;)
    • View Profile
    • yup

Reply #15 on: March 29, 2006, 01:04:48 pm
O my, that guy really sick in his head? He's even saying things like 'This is my best work to date! Has taken me over 2 weeks to complete, and is really actually one of my most faviourte pixel works ive done.'

Screwed up :S
my ds homebrew blog! - contact me if you're interested to work with me on a ds game.

Offline Rerg1

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: March 29, 2006, 01:08:09 pm
Wow nice man. The Colour around the barrel is really kewl  ;D
I wanna see more man.

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #17 on: March 29, 2006, 01:31:10 pm
naughty naughty - very naughty...  :'(

Get the gloves out dude... time to crack some skullz...
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline neverest

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: March 29, 2006, 01:44:18 pm
 :o I'm shocked, thanks for pointing this out BlackEye. I guess I'll have to join deviantart just so I can cyberkick his ass. He could have at least ripped the newest version haha

Offline BlackEye

• View Profile
    • blackeye.org

Reply #19 on: March 29, 2006, 01:45:34 pm
O my, that guy really sick in his head? He's even saying things like 'This is my best work to date! Has taken me over 2 weeks to complete, and is really actually one of my most faviourte pixel works ive done.'

Screwed up :S
i hate this kind of people...
i wrote an email to kenneth and he already replied on this guy's dA page

i'm glad i found him while i was browsing the pixelart section, neverest :)
-blackeye-