AuthorTopic: WIP Tileset  (Read 5061 times)

Offline Sinistral Erim

• View Profile

WIP Tileset

on: December 31, 2009, 12:20:48 pm

I know I'm missing some corners there. What do you think about the pallete? Do the textures need some redoing? I fail at dirt tiles.

Offline twodayslate

• View Profile
    • twitter

Re: WIP Tileset

Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 05:45:24 pm
What is that white stuff supposed to be?

Offline Sinistral Erim

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 08:28:54 pm
snow.

Offline Lizzrd

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 09:37:38 pm
it looks like clouds to me.
Photocopier: the fact that arne can also code so well
Photocopier: is horrificly unfair

Offline WM

• cubist
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 03:24:17 am
I don't like the random white dots in the snow -- they look like artifacts and take away from the solidity of the snow.

The problem here is that your different terrains have different styles, making each other look out of place.

Your grass is super-detailed, your rock moderately-detailed, and your snow is close to cartoony. Maybe try and unify it all under one style through simplifying and/or detailing.

Offline Mooshu

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 05:55:02 pm
I like your style, but it seems like the white rock things are from something else. also, would you be interested in working on a tileset for my game? I doubt you would, but if you can make it look really good, I may be able to create a buisness from my game's success.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 10:40:45 pm
I agree, they're like clouds. Try grounding them with a little darkening shadow at the base. Contributing to their cloud-ishness is that they appear to be floating. Use less blue, more gray, and attempt a texture less blobby marshmellow and more indicative of rock.

Try mixing some colors between tile types, each type of tile (bush, dirt and rock) are too exclusive.

Offline Sinistral Erim

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 04:43:14 pm
Rock, huh? Thankyou for the advice -- I don't know why I thought of the tiles as separate things and totally forgot about color recycling!

working on a different, 8-bit tileset. I still haven't finished picking my palette, missing two colors or so.

First try at sidewalk/cobblestone street tiles. Not  very good, eh? I'm surprised the river looks ok,it was almost by accident. The brick walls are recycled from some other tileset and look off. I'm rather pleased with my grass and earth, though.

Missing tiles everywhere.

Edit: My grass looks like the snow. Odd fluffy green thing! No remedy to that other than to try and make a grass carpet instead, right?

Offline Sinistral Erim

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 12:31:38 pm

Are m textures too migraine-worthy? The brown thing will soon mutate into roof tiles.

Offline circuscommando

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 06:17:48 pm
the perspective in the last area (the town) seems almost entirely vertical at the moment.

i like the thick grass in the 8-bit one, but it feels like the blue goes too high or is too thick.
he hobbles and hobbles.