AuthorTopic: [WIP] Barbarian girl  (Read 11170 times)

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

[WIP] Barbarian girl

on: December 30, 2009, 12:26:39 pm
I've been pixeling this for fun for a couple of days.. hoping I might get this actually finished. I'm working on a computer with a really crap monitor (and Photoshop 5) so there's not much I can do about colours atm. So my questions:

Anatomy. How does it look? I'd like to apply the squareness to it that I've used in the bg and in the girls hair etc. The arms are currently not square enough..
Shading. The light's coming from up left, should I darken the skin and play with highlights or draw an actual shadow? The current shading is a remnant from before I decided the direction of the light..
What else do barbarians wear? Not much, I know, but still..

15 colours, one more colour to add as well...

LATEST:

« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 08:40:31 am by JJ Naas »

Offline junkboy

• jnkboy
    • jnkboy
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Barbarian girl

Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 02:58:13 pm
Cute! Reminds me of the Snow Giants piece by Frazetta. I'd say it needs more skulls, axes, teeth-necklaces, ravens and dark-grim to qualify as properly "barbarian" though. Her ass looks really flat, so you might want to make it poke out more. Make her back and spine more defined as well, at a first glance it could look like she's facing the viewer.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 03:44:49 pm
Nice start.  Not sure i agree on the squareness, but it's your piece.  The rest just looks about 10 times better than the face.

I agree about the spine and I think a shadow there curving over the left buttox would help define the shape of the rear without messing with the flow of the skirt.  Also if the blade is dripping, we should see that on the ground possibly arcing around her feet.  Also I think you've demanded that she have a pretty low crack (no nice word for that is there) because of the way the skirt hangs down.

The blue on the face doesn't do it for me atm, try grey.  Dither freckles ae a bit rough, too.  In my mind I'm also laughing at the idea of a barbarian going largely unclothed into snowy mountains, with a very modern bra on.

(no, edit is not trying to be serious about certain things...)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 03:55:29 pm by ndchristie »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 04:19:28 pm
I'm all for the blocky retro style, like ptoing's chunk-funk for instance, but here it's too subtle. It feels more like a mistake, like stiff lineart. Though I do enjoy the mountains.

Lovin' nd's shadows/highlights and color edit -minus- the darker bg. A lighter bg may result in the foreground popping a bit mo'. Right now with the mountains having such a large luminosity range their drawing my eye too much. Lessen that contrast?

A cute girl character holding an ugly severed barbarian head. It don't jive for me. Is the unlikely contrast intended for shock, comedy, etc? Her clothing - she'd freeze in 3 seconds. Though, I suppose you're applying the less-armor-is-more-armor in the case of fantasy women characters. And I do like that cartoonish concept, even yet it's still a little "funny" to me. Her arms appear to be differing thicknesses.

At first I thought the barbarian head was receiving warm and cold light on either side of it's face, but it's not is it? It's the typical celtic facepaint right? I can't help but think there's a large fire burning just outside the pic, to the left.

The blood-trail implies a path, but there's no footsteps to go with it. Adding them would be logical but, also yes, add more "noise" you may not want since this style is so minimal. I'd probably ditch the blood drops falling from the blade.

Some falling snow perhaps?

Compositionally thinking, it seems your negative space should be flipped - give it less hill and more sky (pan the camera up, keep the dimensions).

Got an unused green there? Is this a pre-made palette?

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 07:40:39 pm
Thanks for the feedback, that gives me enough to work on to improve the pic. :)

Cute! Reminds me of the Snow Giants piece by Frazetta. I'd say it needs more skulls, axes, teeth-necklaces, ravens and dark-grim to qualify as properly "barbarian" though. Her ass looks really flat, so you might want to make it poke out more. Make her back and spine more defined as well, at a first glance it could look like she's facing the viewer.

Yes, I've been looking at several Frazetta pieces while doing this. I can't probably use the directly-from-above light source that Frazetta uses to bring out the roundness of asses, but alrighty then, I'll make it bigger.

Nice start.  Not sure i agree on the squareness, but it's your piece.  The rest just looks about 10 times better than the face.

I'll ditch the squareness if I can't get it to work.. I'll try first though.

I agree about the spine and I think a shadow there curving over the left buttox would help define the shape of the rear without messing with the flow of the skirt.  Also if the blade is dripping, we should see that on the ground possibly arcing around her feet.  Also I think you've demanded that she have a pretty low crack (no nice word for that is there) because of the way the skirt hangs down.

The blue on the face doesn't do it for me atm, try grey.  Dither freckles ae a bit rough, too.  In my mind I'm also laughing at the idea of a barbarian going largely unclothed into snowy mountains, with a very modern bra on.

(no, edit is not trying to be serious about certain things...)

Nice edit.. subtle but it works. Thanks.

I'm all for the blocky retro style, like ptoing's chunk-funk for instance, but here it's too subtle. It feels more like a mistake, like stiff lineart. Though I do enjoy the mountains.

Lovin' nd's shadows/highlights and color edit -minus- the darker bg. A lighter bg may result in the foreground popping a bit mo'. Right now with the mountains having such a large luminosity range their drawing my eye too much. Lessen that contrast?

Ok, I'll take a look at the bg/foreground luminosity range once I get back to my own computer with a better monitor.

A cute girl character holding an ugly severed barbarian head. It don't jive for me. Is the unlikely contrast intended for shock, comedy, etc? Her clothing - she'd freeze in 3 seconds. Though, I suppose you're applying the less-armor-is-more-armor in the case of fantasy women characters. And I do like that cartoonish concept, even yet it's still a little "funny" to me. Her arms appear to be differing thicknesses.

It's not meant to be comedic or shocking.. just using the silly barbarian themes. Wearing sensible clothes isn't very barbarian-like. But I'm trying to think of something else she'd wear.. fur gauntlets or something... well, junkboy already gave me some good ideas.

At first I thought the barbarian head was receiving warm and cold light on either side of it's face, but it's not is it? It's the typical celtic facepaint right? I can't help but think there's a large fire burning just outside the pic, to the left.

The blood-trail implies a path, but there's no footsteps to go with it. Adding them would be logical but, also yes, add more "noise" you may not want since this style is so minimal. I'd probably ditch the blood drops falling from the blade.

Some falling snow perhaps?

Compositionally thinking, it seems your negative space should be flipped - give it less hill and more sky (pan the camera up, keep the dimensions).

Got an unused green there? Is this a pre-made palette?

It's not facepaint.. just placeholder shading. I'll fix it. The green's been so far used only in her eyes.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 08:56:36 pm
Wearing sensible clothes isn't very barbarian-like.

OT but this struck me as funny.  Are we talking barbarians in the original sense (non-greek-speaking peoples of the classical world), common sense (northern european and asian tribes whose social structures were framed around subsistence farmers and a warrior elite), or some other sense which somehow includes peoples that can actually afford to dress frivolously (something generally found only in "civilized" or "advanced" societies).

Wearing sensible clothes isn't very Frazetta like is probably what you were getting at.  Difference is big :).

I would also suggest framing forms with light and shade before you adjust proportions.
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 09:33:18 pm
OT but this struck me as funny.  Are we talking barbarians in the original sense (non-greek-speaking peoples of the classical world), common sense (northern european and asian tribes whose social structures were framed around subsistence farmers and a warrior elite), or some other sense which somehow includes peoples that can actually afford to dress frivolously (something generally found only in "civilized" or "advanced" societies).

Wearing sensible clothes isn't very Frazetta like is probably what you were getting at.  Difference is big :).

Well yes, I meant the cliched Conan/Frazetta -influenced barbarians, not the actual historical "barbarians".

I would also suggest framing forms with light and shade before you adjust proportions.

You mean, not starting by drawing line art first? I wouldn't normally do line art first but I cant't use my Wacom atm. and the line art approach is all I can do using a mouse.

EDIT: Damn this monitor! Can't wait to do some serious colour adjusting with my own computer. (I'm currently staying at my folks' place for Xmas and using their old PC.)

« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 09:47:02 pm by JJ Naas »

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 12:10:10 am
It's a mistake to think of things only in terms of line and fill.  both are subservient to form.  Form can be brought out in a number of ways, but it should always be firmed up before finely dawn lines or carefully placed colors are even approached.

Now, stop messing around with lines and make sure that girl's ass is firm!

(couldn't resist)
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Tourist

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 12:35:45 am
I think there's a problem with the spine of the original piece.  

The shoulders have twist, but no tilt, and the hips have tilt but no twist.  This is ok, but the lines in between don't transition well.

Her left side has a lower hip and a shoulder turned farther away than the right side, but the angle of the waist is sharper.  I think it should be the other way around.  Also, her rump should be the major mass that pushes the left torso line back out from the waist, with the curve of the hip just visible.  Does that make sense?

Here's a quick edit.  Mostly the torso lines, although I had to move the head 1 pixel to the right for it to work.  Also changed the line of the neck.  She still needs shading to make the back less flat.

My two cents,
Tourist

Edited to make the comments more clear.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 12:50:22 am by Tourist »

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Reply #9 on: December 31, 2009, 01:04:31 am
Tourist's edit looks much lighter than the original, probably because of a similar strange issue I have with this piece: when I download it, it does look lighter than in the browser.
NDChristie's edit is not affected in this way, and I've never seen this behavior in pixels before.
No idea about either cause or fix.