AuthorTopic: The May Queen  (Read 3518 times)

Offline Zweckform

• Monks shouldn't pixel
    • View Profile

The May Queen

on: December 30, 2009, 09:41:45 am
Hello,

here is a lil' pic i did. The main problem i got here is that the background seems to be unconnected. Have no good solution so far. Maybe someone here got an idea ?

Also if you find any other issues, please don't hesitate to mention them.

Offline MadHatter

• im nipples the enchilada
    • View Profile

Re: The May Queen

Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 02:14:56 pm
I think you should remove the red around the mouth.  (I'm not sure if it's lipstick or her lips.) Considering it isn't that big, the red just takes up to much space, and is to bright. Try toning it down a bit. There are also a bunch o' things distracting you from what (I think) you want to be seen the most. It is the queen right?  I also suggest giving a more pixie feel to her. Add wings, maybe a gown. Unless she isn't supposed to be small, in which case I suggest making it a bit bigger and adding something to show her size/ Also I suggest changing the palette to something softer.

Hope this helps.

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 02:34:30 pm
I think the first problem is probably the dark blue being used selectively around the outline of the may queen and other stuff. It makes it look noisy and messy. Try to shift the darker skin colors into purple or something. Right now all the skin colors are the same hue, then there is a jarring dark purple partially outlining the forms.

Secondly, I think the anatomy of her lower half is not quite right. Her pelvis seems to be rotated towards us too much, like her legs at their origin from the pelvis don't overlap at all, when they should. The legs also seem a little bendy, perhaps try and more clearly define the knee cap and calf muscle. I like the feet, though.

Third, I think the disconnect between the stuff up front and the background stuff is the difference in saturation. The really desaturated stuff is going to fade into the background, while the saturated things up front really pop out. A layering of different levels of saturation will transition from the vibrant objects up front, and whatever is going on in the background.

Fourth, the wings don't pop out for me. I only realized there were any after looking at the piece of a while. Maybe try and use some of those purples or new shadow colors to add volume to the wings, even if they are lacy and fine.

Anyway, keep up the good work. This piece has potential. A little refinement and it will be pretty sweet.

Examples of layered saturation:
http://pixeljoint.com/pixelart/18864.htm
http://pixeljoint.com/pixelart/10195.htm
http://pixeljoint.com/pixelart/20350.htm

Those are all obviously creating an effect that makes it look like it goes very far back, the then same thing applies I believe.

Offline Zweckform

• Monks shouldn't pixel
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 01:28:22 pm
Hello,

thank you both for your replies - some good points and helpful hints. New version will come when i got some time, this one will be continued.

Offline Zweckform

• Monks shouldn't pixel
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 11:15:49 pm
Hello,

here is a new version with (hopefully) fixed wings & leg issues and an improved background.

Any C&C welcome.

Update: more AA and some changes to the legs.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 09:47:07 am by Zweckform »

Offline Zweckform

• Monks shouldn't pixel
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 03:14:01 pm
Hello,

as there are no more new ideas from me or others to save this piece i will leave it as is. Thanks for the help. Case closed.