AuthorTopic: [WIP] Angry slime!  (Read 4962 times)

Offline Charlieton

• awkward dancer
    • View Profile

[WIP] Angry slime!

on: December 28, 2009, 08:29:25 pm
Hello people!

I'm making this slime-kind-of-thing, and I intend to animate it to make it all jiggly. But I figured I should decide on a palette first, and I'm not quite content with the one I have now. For example: I feel it needs more contrast, but I'm not sure how to apply that feel. I'm also having a hard time making it look really transluscent, so any hints on how to do that would be much appreciated. The overall shape will also be somewhat modified, and I haven't settled with the black outline. The facial features will also be seeing some changes.

So yeah, give me some pointers and critique, and I'll try to work them out.

Old versions:

Current:
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 08:03:55 pm by Charlieton »
Det skulle vara lätt för mig att säga att jag inte gillar dig, men det gör jag; tror jag

Offline Lizzrd

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Angry slime!

Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 09:17:34 pm
add a second highlight in the topleft corner of it.
Photocopier: the fact that arne can also code so well
Photocopier: is horrificly unfair

Offline Charlieton

• awkward dancer
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 08:17:31 am
Added som cartoonish light spots, fleshed out its roundness somewhat, and changed the colours for increased contrast:

It kinda looks like a pair of dots though, rather than a reflection. I'll have to try and work that out.
Det skulle vara lätt för mig att säga att jag inte gillar dig, men det gör jag; tror jag

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 10:47:09 am
It kinda looks like a pair of dots though, rather than a reflection.

Because they contradict the gradient: highlights say light source is from up left and back, gradient says low front right.

Offline Charlieton

• awkward dancer
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 08:02:16 pm
True, there shouldn't be any reflection there. I've redone some of highlights/shadows in order to better respond to the light source.

I have also tried to include the "angry cross" in the construction, giving it a shape. Might have gone over the top with the highlights on it, though. Not sure if I should have it like that at all, might look better as just a symbol like before. Or maybe it shouldn't be there at all? Yay or nay on the cross?

Offline dreamisle

• Software Engineer/Puzzle Author
    • View Profile
    • Dave Goes the Distance

Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 08:55:20 pm
I'm not sure how you'll feel about this one, but it strikes me that you might want to have some sort of flatness to the bottom of the blob, as if it's on some sort of surface, and sort of have a shadow on the bottom inside of the blob slime situation thing deal mess.

Quick edit:

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 09:39:34 pm
Take a look at Jad's avatar if you need help.

You definitely need some shiny in there, maybe not pure white though.

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 09:57:02 pm
You're following a very common route for this slime, it looks like pretty much every other 'slime' creature you see in anime-esque roleplaying games to me. What you need to ask yourself is what can you do differently? If you're not interested in that you'll practically be creating fanart. Just a thought.

Check this reference out: http://www.fotosearch.com/UNZ221/u12261348/

Now imagine that jiggling, you could have a really nice effect with the reflections. At the moment your slime is more like a rubber ball in the way it's rendered. Highly reflective surfaces have strong highlights! But i would advise against going down Jad's route, since his is very stylised and you will really be lacking much original input.

I don't think the 'angry cross' symbol works as a physical construct. It's an emotive shape to signify an expression, like an exclamation mark to emphasise surprise, therefore i would remove the highlights by it. Now i realise it's based upon a bulging vein idea, but i think you could get a better result by creating a bulging vein without the common symbol in mind.

Finally, you could use more dark tones when shaping the facial features instead of blacks - at the moment the features look like they're cut into the blob. Even though it's quite cartoony i think it could benefit from some more depth and structure.