AuthorTopic: Present improvement  (Read 12597 times)

Offline Lizzrd

• View Profile

Re: Present improvement

Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 09:58:32 am
Photocopier: the fact that arne can also code so well
Photocopier: is horrificly unfair

Offline Elk

• Choice Architect & Nudger
    • elkdarkshire
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/4683.htm
    • darkshire
    • darkshire.elk
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 11:48:40 am
I'm sorry if this is a bit short, but it's direct and to the point: stop relying on dithering too much. Focus on the basics first(volumes, perspective, primary color/hue selection, etc.) THEN focus on the pixel art afterward.....Also, don't be afraid to use references. They help. : )

Bob knows me so good <3

I should have mentioned that aswell at the dislikes I believe...lol :)

Anyways, good improvement so far, be a little more open for changes
Open for business
elkdarkshire@gmail.com
Elk#2299

Offline Ultimaodin

• Unknown Artistry
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: January 04, 2010, 04:41:57 pm
@bob- well I guess if I'm doing something completely wrong, going back to step1 is probably the smartest idea. Don't know why I didn't think of that.

@Elk- Hmmm I'm not a fan of clean cut (dunno why but I like to see pixels in my pixel art. Beats me) but it is your present not mine, so will take that into consideration.

Started smoothing it off to it's raw original form. (yes I did start everything off with flat shapes, well except the hair and skin of the character)

Once I've smoothed it I will try altering the colour pallet. Also did some measuring and realised I have about a 9 degree angle for the roof ot a 15 degree, which will be contributing to the look of standing on a wall. Will add an extra 7-8pixels to it's depth and that should correct that issue. Probably still need to down-size my giant.
@Cak- Hmmmmm true I see what you mean. I was trying to go high saturation colours or elk as that was something put in his post. (saturated colours make me feel warm) ;D

@Lizzrd- believe it or not I did use a few referances. I will see if I can hunt down the pages as I didn't keep the link just a picture in a separate layer. A few of which I had to use the screen-Print button to get illegitimate copies of. Don't worry I will delete said images off my PC when I'm done. Biggest issue I have is I'm a newbie and I did kind of rush it the entire time to get it done on time. I also can't imagine references at different angles and I culdn't find any decent side-view referances, so I kind of worked half of referance the other half on imagination.

Anyway got to go to bed. My girlfriend is picking on me cause it's 1am and I got to get up at 6. ;)

PS I think I'm finally heading in the correct direction for the beak. :blind:

Offline Jeremy

• howdy
    • pixellerjeremy
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19218.htm
    • pixellerjeremy
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: January 04, 2010, 06:49:17 pm
Btw, the chimney and other hump thing should really be at the same angle to the cylinder as the figure, that's probably contributing to some perspective issues

Offline Jorund

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: January 05, 2010, 03:17:08 am
When I looked at the image something disturbes me right here, in the start of the roof:

That part of the train doesn't seem to follow the perspective. I know it's curved and the lines I made are straight, but it just to get the idea of where I think that should go.
Right know it looks like he's standing not in the roof, but in some kind of side edge.

If we see the guy without the rest of the train. It doesn't seem odd, except for his size:

I don't know... hope that helps.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: January 05, 2010, 04:46:46 pm
All hues of shading exist in their own little colorverse. Each shade goes to a darker version of itself when nearing shadow, and each highlight to a lighter version of itself. It's as though there was no colored light source, and no ambient light. Or, well, especially the skin tones of the guy - seeing as the world around him is mostly blue-gray-green, the light bouncing around everywhere would have that cold aspect, thus everything that's in shadow would also have a certain grayness to it. Soo well I suggest you make it so! It'll look nice ' u '
' _ '

Offline Ultimaodin

• Unknown Artistry
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: January 14, 2010, 02:00:16 pm
Hey everyone thanks for the helpful tips. I am still working on this just can't post anything yet as I'm using my girlfriends laptop. (mine's wireless network adapter has fried itself)

@Jad- Yes I know what you mean, My colour picking abilities are pretty bad, currently doing some studying of colour theory, hopefully that will help. I will take your advice and decrease the saturation for the darker colours. I'm going to change the sky colour from the gold to a more aqua colour. I want to adjust the darker colours to do a similar thing

@Jo- Hmm yeah, I see what you mean but the back of yours follows the back of the item on the roof, (not sure what you call it) and what I will call the front barrel curves so I think it needs even more width than what you've suggested. I did this edit of yours before I lost me net access.

@Jeremy- Yeah I agree, I was told at another forum I should increase the top visibility of the chimney and the other thingie I think I will change it back. the change I made in the general light on the front barrel may have had an effect on this.

Offline PsiGamesInc

• View Profile
    • PsiGames Inc.

Reply #17 on: January 14, 2010, 09:18:11 pm
Wow that is really nice, and very well done. As some have mentioned the character standing at the top of the trail kinda throw me off because you can't tell is he/she is standing on top of the train or on the side. I really like the colors you've used and think that 90% of the image is complete and the other 10% just needs to be tweeked a bit. I can also tell that it is a train, but would like to see some wheels, and tracks to complete the artwork. All in all this is a very beautiful image, and hope you keep up the good work :)

Offline Ultimaodin

• Unknown Artistry
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: January 22, 2010, 01:32:17 am
Yay my computer is fixed. ;D

So yea it's been getting repaired the last few days so I haven't done a lot extra to it.
Smoothed off most of it except the character. Still thinking of making him a touch smaller.

I've changed the colours but looking at more pixel art references I thin I went the wrong way with the saturation and the darker colours should be the more saturated.
I also reduced the colour count just a tad.
I still need to change the depth of the roof and make it more apparent/readable. Thinking of either making it darker or maybe switching the colours of the roof with the colours of the guys boots or a combo of both.
Also need to clean up the smoke. Lots of jaggies.

Also I might try a line gradiation (I know not a word) on the barrel part to give it more "roundness"

@PSi- Well thank you. Hmm yeah a few people seem to have an issue with the readability of the roof so I'm going to try and fix that. I was using Trigun's Sand-steamer as a bit of a reference so I decided not to add wheels, however Seems a few people would like it added so I will amend that concept. The colours I think still could use some amending too.

PS. Photobucket seems to change my colours a fair bit. ???

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: January 22, 2010, 03:52:15 am
The colors are much improved, whether it was your doing or photobucket's.
As for saturation- in reality, or at least the general, or the ideal, or whatever word has to be said- Shadows are LESS saturated than the local color, which will have more saturation than both the shadow and the lights. Also the shadows will tend to be the opposite temperature than the light. So if your light source is giving off a yellow ish light, you would have a desaturated purple ish shadow. Generally.