AuthorTopic: Scientist character mockup  (Read 3707 times)

Offline x-death

• View Profile

Scientist character mockup

on: December 28, 2009, 09:59:55 am
ok i've been trying to draw up a scientist for a peice i'm doing. can anyone give me some c&c? because i really need help figuring out how to improve this character.

many thanks for taking the time to read this topic, and any help you may provide. :)

Offline Zweckform

• Monks shouldn't pixel
    • View Profile

Re: Scientist character mockup

Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 11:14:36 pm
Hello,

here is a quick edit. I tried to emphasise the glasses to represent knowledge a bit more and turned away from the aseptic lab look (the pants& shoes) to a more common.

Hope it helps you on your search.

Offline x-death

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 01:07:26 pm
ohh thanks. that does help. i edit a few things. mostly adding shading to pants and adjusting shading on pockets a little. thanks for the help, it helped helps!

one uestion should i try to add more of a stance to the legs or not? because his pose seems lifeless.

Offline Lizzrd

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 02:02:09 pm
Scientists are lifeless (i am wrong here i know). Or you could make it less secure by having the face expression be like :| and his legs be more )(
Sorry to everyone that took it offensive.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 04:09:01 pm by Lizzrd »
Photocopier: the fact that arne can also code so well
Photocopier: is horrificly unfair

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 02:45:02 pm
I think problem #1 is that you have a bunch of meaningless pixels scattered over the piece, making it look noisy. Zweck cleaned it up a bit, especially the coat. If you're going to place pixels, don't do it meaninglessly. The pixels must represent something.

Problem #2 is the stance and general form of the body. It's so round and indefinite, and the legs look very forward facing while the upper body is rotated.

Problem #3 is the palette. There is a little variation, but overall it is just a straight ramp for each color. Be bolder with your colors, and don't make a color closer and closer to another just because they look weird if they separate at all. This usually means there is a problem with the placement of the pixels.

Problem #4 is probably the black outlines. Don't get me wrong they can be used well, but often they just take up space and are a crutch when you can't get the volumes with shadows.

In my edit, I basically just started over, except for the head. Your head isn't bad, I just took it and modified it quite a bit. The body, I essentially took one color and drew the silhouette (minus the arms), then drew the coat and stuff over top of it. Then I added the arms. Color wise, I made his skin shadows go into green, and his highlights and lab coat go yellow. It kind of suggests an eerie light source, like a mad scientist or something. I enlargened the back of the head, got rid of the black outlines, and made the glasses and eyebrow pop off of it. There is definitely more I could do with it, AA and solve some of the banding issues, but you get the idea. Probably best viewed at 2X, that's the resolution I was looking at it.

Good luck.

Also, scientists are lifeless? I take offense to that, ha ha. But seriously, don't stereotype :>

Offline x-death

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 03:28:40 pm
Lizzrd:
you misunderstood what i meant. i didn't mean the scientist itself was lifeless i mean simply his pose was.

NaCl:
the pixels were placed meaningfully. i couldn't seem to get the right look shading wise so i wean't for more of a creased suit look. guess judging by your comment i didn't do to good of a job.

don't get me wrong i like your design that you did to help but it steers away from the style i was going for and because of this the shading is slightly more useful in Zweckform in the way of helping. yeah i try and implement outlines in my game mockups all the time simply because it helps images stand out more. if colored and shaded correctly.