AuthorTopic: Outback ozzie zoot suit  (Read 3101 times)

Offline Ultimaodin

• Unknown Artistry
    • View Profile

Outback ozzie zoot suit

on: December 24, 2009, 11:26:46 am
G'day. Well the title should probably give you an idea of what I'm aiming at but else wise I'm trying to make a zoot suit in an Australian outback look. (similar to what you'd see in the cr0c dundee movies)

Anyway to the point:

So far I've only really completed the hat and the leather suit jacket. (although the hat has a bit of an issue at the bottom right that I need to fix and only just noticed.

I did some studies on leather so I think I got the gist of it but ain't certain. (also cheated and used some random as heck dithering every now and again, hope it doesn't show to much)

All C&C welcome.

Also be as harsh as you want/can as criticism is the best way to learn.

I included the colour pallet separate so far.

PS I haven't done the shoes or set up the base of the pants yet either, but not sure if I should or not.

EDIT:

Changed the colour pallet in hope it might stop the jacket looking so much like rock, and more like the actual leather it's meant to be.

Better or worse?

« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 02:14:29 am by Ultimaodin »

Offline Ultimaodin

• Unknown Artistry
    • View Profile

Re: Outback ozzie zoot suit

Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 11:25:30 am
Added a bicep knife, which irritates me because it looks like it has too much depth in comparison to the rest of the piece, but I can't work out how to shade it.

:)

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 04:31:17 pm
Yello,

that's a nice piece so far but it has some depth-consistency problems. The pants are really nice shaded with highlights on the left leg and the right leg mostly in shadows, but the shading on the jacket doesn't fit with it at all. Right now the jacket part looks flat, like a stone-relief, it needs lots more shadow on its right half to follow the leg shading. Not too eager about the leather-cracks either, they should have much less contrast to avoid the rock-like feel. Remove the highlights on the cracks and/or use colours closer to each other. Maybe even remove the cracks altogether, you can still convey a sense of leather with some regular wrinkles with strong highlights.

Hope that helps :)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 04:34:59 pm by ErekT »

Offline Ultimaodin

• Unknown Artistry
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 11:51:07 am
I thought I'd try adding the extra colour I had to alter the shading. A bit of a simple and lazy edit but I think it did a good enough job.

Which looks better, the right arm (our left) with or without the light forearm. The lightened forearm was a mates idea but I think it clashes with the light source. (note I would ad more transition to light if people thought it was more correct)

Ps I'm going to add the darkest shade for the entire underside of the jacket.

@ErakT- True I can create a leather sense by doing that however it wouldn't be the sort of leather I am aiming for. So do you think I should add more colours for less contrast into my pallet? Pallet choice is always an epic failure part for me.