AuthorTopic: Portrait for a loved one. Please CnC.  (Read 6244 times)

Offline Ultimaodin

• Unknown Artistry
    • View Profile

Re: Portrait for a loved one. Please CnC.

Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 03:26:41 am
Ok first I do feel like a bit of an idiot because mahatter ain't a common nickname here and I've only heard/seen it twice by the same person on rmxp.org and another site trying to do the same. just being cautious.
@ben- Umm I didn't mean it to sound rude I just putting my words in a way I use everyday. I forget outside of Australia our speech is oft considered crude. I really just wanted to point the fact out that females don't WANT to see a perfect likeness, the want to see themselves so much more pretty. Only trying to point out that evil eyes looked older. Most women (at least that I've met) do not wish to be reminded of their age.
However if I did offend Evil Eye I do apologise, I'm learning netiquette just as much as I'm learning pixel art.

I do apologise to madhatter also for my accusation.

Anyway so this entire post isn't off topic I suggest adding a small glint inthe eye. It may not be in the reference but it will give her a presence of happiness and admiration. Simple additional details can be important. Her lps also look huge but that will mostly be corrected once you've removed the black outline. The eyes look sleepy cause you've tried to keep a nice curve, howver if you look at the refrence closely there is much of  curve going down left but more of a steep straight angle.

Offline MadHatter

• im nipples the enchilada
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: December 22, 2009, 09:14:19 pm

A new one, for a different loved one. I know I shouldn't start something before I finish editing another, but I have a deadline. But I'm done now. If anyone can give me CnC for the new one, it would be epic.

Refrence:

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Reply #12 on: December 22, 2009, 09:36:25 pm
If I may just interject with a short suggestion--please please please axe the black outlines! They looks really really bad, especially around the lips and the nose. I made a really fast cheap edit to illustrate my point.

See the difference? This applies just as much to the original post as well. Those black outlines do not exist in reality, and so they are very jarring to see on a realistic face like this.

Offline MadHatter

• im nipples the enchilada
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: December 22, 2009, 11:36:23 pm
OK, thanks, I'll keep that in mind. :]

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #14 on: December 23, 2009, 03:21:40 am
@ben- Umm I didn't mean it to sound rude I just putting my words in a way I use everyday. I forget outside of Australia our speech is oft considered crude. I really just wanted to point the fact out that females don't WANT to see a perfect likeness, the want to see themselves so much more pretty. Only trying to point out that evil eyes looked older. Most women (at least that I've met) do not wish to be reminded of their age.
Hey, I'm Australian! And... it is crude.  :)

I don't agree with this notion of females wanting personal delusions as presents. I have female friends that would scream bloody murder over such a suggestion. But I do understand that the culture we live in does instill this mindset on some women. But even if she did want to be lied to, do you think it's an act of love to oblige her? I think it's cruel, and not befitting of a gift. Just a personal observation.

I started an edit of the first piece before EvilEye came and posted his, which really nails everything I was hoping to say. Nose and cheekbone, various planes around the mouth, destroy the black lines, draw the whole neck.

You also have numerous colours that are redundant in your palette. Try merging similar ones together and cut down what you have to work with. Less is more, in this circumstance.

Your second piece seems to tell more of your workflow with these. It seems like you're analysing values on the reference as you go around the picture and laying them down in similar shapes to how they appear. This is vulnerable to error/misjudgement. You can work faster, and more robustly by simplifying the subject with basic 3d forms (cubes, spheres, cylinders, etc) and breaking surfaces down into simpler planes. You're on a deadline though (christmas?), so it might not be really possible to start trying to take that up now. Still, something to keep in mind. Regardless, be aware some of it is approaching pillow-shading in appearance (2nd piece, forehead, cheeks, under the eyes). The references have very homogeneous lighting, making it hard to use the process you appear to be using.

Be much more careful with the shapes of the eyes and mouths. They're very strong identifying features that can easily put a portrait off.

Hair in the second is extremely thick and dense. Unless it's largely unworked as of yet? Analyse it more carefully (I'm referring to the facial hair, as well).