AuthorTopic: Advance Wars  (Read 7255 times)

Offline Mush

• View Profile
    • MushSauce

Advance Wars

on: December 22, 2009, 01:51:36 am
I got to work on some tiles for an iPhone Advance Wars remake.

Idle animation:

I need to send these to the programmer soon, so C&C would be helpful.

Offline WM

• cubist
    • View Profile

Re: Advance Wars

Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 01:58:08 am
(*Looking at closeup shot*)

I feel that it hasn't evolved out of its basic building shapes to be considered a final product. Try slicing those edges into two, leaving a slim 45-degree angle face running along the "edges" of the tank's rectangular building blocks. Also dont be afraid to look up some real-life tank bodies for reference.

Offline Mush

• View Profile
    • MushSauce

Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 02:31:10 am
Is this any better?

Edit:

« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 02:50:28 am by Mush »

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 03:07:29 am
Strange I feel like this looks just like a copy from the game o.o.

Since its already made realy.

Offline alkaline

• may be caustic
    • designflaw
    • awstenn
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 03:08:38 am
it's a good step, but you still haven't addressed the basic shapes part. The body of the tank is still largely straight edged and boxy, cannon too straight and smooth. You could afford to add in some more variation to the body of the tank. the details on the top of the tank are still 2D looking as well.

Offline Ultimaodin

• Unknown Artistry
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 03:09:12 am
you need a small one pixel gap between the treads and the casing. (the bit of metal that goes over the treads)
I may be wrong but I think that will help it look more functional. Also the idle animation just looks weird to me. It looks like it bounces too much even though it's only a 1pixel movement.

Offline Mush

• View Profile
    • MushSauce

Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 03:17:15 am
Strange I feel like this looks just like a copy from the game o.o.

Since its already made realy.

Well, it is a remake.

The body of the tank is still largely straight edged and boxy, cannon too straight and smooth. You could afford to add in some more variation to the body of the tank.
Do you think narrowing the tread covers would help?
Otherwise, I'm out of ideas for the body. Never mind, I thought something... :P

Edit:

« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 04:12:49 am by Mush »

Offline Rosse

• ssero
    • bluecrystalrod
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 06:56:13 am
I like the blocky original more than the newer version. I have nothing against more interesting / complex forms, but currently you overshaded the edges that it looks more like plastic than metal. Use harder edges. The entrance on the top of the tank is better in the newer version, tho.

I like your small tanks. I don't remember the original very well, but I tried an edit to show how I would translate the bigger version. I altered some stuff which I don't remember, but basically I just tried to make the whole thing more boxy. I toned down some AA, removed outer AA, flattened areas, remade the barrel, straightened some edges, added a detail to the wheels to show some movement and removed all internal, black lines [edit: I like the idea with breaking the outline at the bottom, like really squeezing the tank into the ground]. I didn't remake the entrence on the top, because first I thought it was an eye (kind of an emblem), but I would alter that too. One last thing: Don't change the shading of the bumping parts in each frame, I think it doesn't look right - imho. Well, just look at edit. I hope I could help you a bit. Have phun!

« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 07:00:37 am by Rosse »

Offline Zoggles

• Conjuring stuff
    • View Profile
    • Mini Wizard Studios

Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 07:32:18 pm
Just thought I'd throw in a quick edit. Initially because the turret seemed to have the wrong light source and I couldn't help but have my eye drawn to it. Also tried to take out some of the very long straight highlights - that at a small size, with such high contrast overpower any other details the tank has. Then I fixed the perspective of the roof rivets, and added a couple of odd details to the side of the tank. Lastly I did adjust the palette slightly to try and remove some of the sharp contrast  and to also allow the greys to be used better amongst the oranges for shading. I also changed the single use 'green' from your palette to a darker orange/brown to use in place of most of the inner black lines.

I won't claim my edit is all that great - or even that it is better. As a tank.. I'm not overly keen on it..  as an edit.. I think it at least addresses a few issues even if not providing the best solutions.

-Z-

Sorry if I don't seem to ever comment on your posts, but anything hosted on imageshack or most image hosting web sites is blocked from China. If I can't see it I can't therefore comment on it :(

Offline Mush

• View Profile
    • MushSauce

Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 01:09:50 am
Ok, so here's a helicopter:

It's still a wip; I still need to add the blades and weapons. Also, I need to edit the tank to fit the style and size.