AuthorTopic: Ramza Beoulve  (Read 8962 times)

Offline Smash

• View Profile

Re: Ramza Beoulve

Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 09:40:14 pm
Well, it changes with every update.

Pallete is up to 14 colors, and I messed around with the face shades a bit, along with all the progress.

Now to work on all those leg plates..

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 10:12:37 pm
I really like this, the art is just amazing.
I love the greys, and I think the armor could really use them.

(You might have already been planning this...)

I can't put my finger on it but something seems off about the face.

EDIT: Arrr, photoshop strikes again.
Maybe I should think about not using BMPs anymore...
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 11:16:24 pm by CrazyMLC »

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: December 29, 2009, 10:34:10 pm
Perhaps that it's not in correct form with the body? He may be looking that a way. But I think I see what your seeing. His Head is for one perspective. The body for another. Maybe rotate the head around a bit? Plus, the neck seems a bit, I dunno, too straight? Maybe I'm just seeing things.

Offline Smash

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: December 29, 2009, 10:41:19 pm
Wow, that's a big improvement to the original design, without a doubt. I was planning on following the original, so a second version might be coming.

The face.. Im thinking on redoing it.

Offline WM

• cubist
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: December 29, 2009, 11:08:30 pm
as for the head, you are probably talking about the somewhat recessive jawline -- I think a solution to this is some minor tweaking and shifting the position of the mouth in relation to the nose accordingly.

I love that little bit of dithering that you did on the right (his right) pantleg. It really gives it some nice texture and makes it look like fabric. Maybe try working a lot of dithering into those pants for an overall effect like that small section?

Offline Smash

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: December 30, 2009, 01:37:31 am
I'll keep it in mind.

But now for the face, remade. I think I got the Tyvon problem down.

Made 4 versions:

Im leaning towards the dithered down left.. Down right was the original before remake.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: December 30, 2009, 02:20:19 am
Wow, that's a big improvement to the original design, without a doubt. I was planning on following the original, so a second version might be coming.

If i remember rightly, the designs were drawn first in pencil, and then some assistant did the tinting after the sprites were made so that they could be used in the game/promotional art.  Either way I would not be too distracted by whether the original had or did not have a light border, because it wasn't as purposefully colored as one might think.  If I'm remembering wrong (this could be about any number of squaresoft psx titles) then improvements shouldn't weight too heavily on the mind.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: December 30, 2009, 04:38:45 pm
Hmmm, you mean you're actually progressively rendering this image's final state as you go from head to feet, trusting the lineart to be infallible, rather than working the whole thing over in stages, fine-tuning as you go?? That's a very odd way to do it; a workflow that leaves no room for changes without massive back tracking. I'd be afraid to ever do that, for fear that a better idea would strike me mid-process and I'd be compelled to alter the pose or something. But, we all work the way we like to, so more power to ya.

Speaking of the pose. It's bothered me since this thread appeared. It's so passive and looks neglected in the planning stages. He's got that gigantic blade, but looks more like a stable boy hanging onto it for his knight master while he relieves himself in between duels. He has no confidence. I'd like to see him in a battle pose - sword raised, ready to deliver a strong blow to an opponent. But, that's just me again.

All in all, the way your shading this character is beautiful. Great colors, tasteful dithering, etc. Have you tried little speculars on the armor yet? The armor feels flatter than the face. Is the pelvis armored? That bit or armor above the groin looks uneven - the two protrusions tracing down along the upper thighs are different lengths.

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: December 30, 2009, 07:55:49 pm