AuthorTopic: (WIP) Tree monster thing.  (Read 11448 times)

Offline Porque

• View Profile

(WIP) Tree monster thing.

on: December 21, 2009, 01:37:45 pm
Hey all, this is my first post on pixelation :D just wanted to show you guys my current pixelart I am working on.
atm there are 4 hours spend on it, and I gues ill be spending most time on those leaves soon ehhe...
V1

the drawing on the right is made by me and is used as a ref.
The whole concept is based on a creature from Maplestory.

EDIT: V2
I tried to remove the ''awkwardnezz'' at the jaw.
Also gave more tree ''cracks'' (don't know how to call those cracks hehe :P) anyway.
I also messed with the eyes, I think they came out kinda cool :D (note: Eye pallete will be changed Yes)

EDIT: V3

Another small update 'haven't done much because of christmas etc. but anyway, here he is updated and well..!
C+C is more then welcome :)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 03:10:43 pm by Porque »

Offline LoTekK

• View Profile
    • LoTekK.com

Re: (WIP) Tree monster thing.

Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 02:01:01 pm
I know you said you've already spent 4 hours on this, but I feel you've strayed from your concept. The tree in the sketch looks friendly, almost inviting, and while the pixeled tree doesn't exactly look sinister, per se, it certainly doesn't look as affable as your concept. Part of that is the width of the "mouth" which is narrower than the sketch, and the other is its right eye, which is smaller, squinting somewhat.

Offline Jorund

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 02:09:14 pm
I don't think that is a problem. Trees in Maple Story don't happen to be friendly.

What I've notice is that the concept, even without the leaves looks more like a tree. The other one, because of the roots and, maybe the colours, looks more like a rock (in comparison to other graphics in the game). But as it is a work in progress, I don't think that is much of a deal. I'm sure that when you add the leaves that "rock" feeling will go away.

Right now it looks very good. When I saw it, I thought, this reminds me a lot of Maple Story, then I finish reading your comment :P

Offline Avocado

• Howdy
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 04:15:47 pm
I signed in just to post to let you know that that tree has oodles of character. Great job with that, I know it's based on something from a game, but compared to your original sketch the pixelled tree has tons more character.

Pixel-wise i know it's still a WIP but the roots are pretty difficult to read, the sudden jump in contrast from the jaw looks a little awkward and the big blank spot in the middle of the tree's face is kind of boring.

But again, I love the character, keep up the great work.

Offline Porque

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 06:33:47 pm
I signed in just to post to let you know that that tree has oodles of character. Great job with that, I know it's based on something from a game, but compared to your original sketch the pixelled tree has tons more character.

Pixel-wise i know it's still a WIP but the roots are pretty difficult to read, the sudden jump in contrast from the jaw looks a little awkward and the big blank spot in the middle of the tree's face is kind of boring.

But again, I love the character, keep up the great work.

Thanks allot :D and the big blank space is there because i haven't done anything in that spot :D haha but thanks all for the comments. but the sketch of my tree is just a reference, and i am not realy making that tree I sketched ;)

Now that I am home from work I am going to work on it a bit more. Thanks again !

EDIT: Fixed it up a bit!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 07:20:58 pm by Porque »

Offline Elk

• Choice Architect & Nudger
    • elkdarkshire
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/4683.htm
    • darkshire
    • darkshire.elk
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 08:55:53 pm
Very nice,looks very maple-story-ish
Cannot wait to see the leaves grow :)
Open for business
elkdarkshire@gmail.com
Elk#2299

Offline Porque

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 26, 2009, 03:11:54 pm
Very nice,looks very maple-story-ish
Cannot wait to see the leaves grow :)
Thanks allot !

I updated the tree a bit:

bit more shading and also removed ref. on this 1, because the size was way to big for photobucket, they resized it if i also had the ref on it.

Offline Zweckform

• Monks shouldn't pixel
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 02:36:37 pm
Hello,

i always love tree-like creatures. Its a bit early for critics imho as many parts are unfinished. Maybe the left eyebrow could be emphasised a bit more to get more volume at that side. Anyway this one looks very promising. Keep up the good work.

Offline Porque

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 07:22:57 am
Thanks, since i have been very busy with work and social life i have not been able to work on it... but since school has started again, i will be able to work on it. so soon there will be another update. cheers

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 07:52:57 pm
Not exactly an edit, nor pixel art, but I wanted to see what your tree would look like with larger roots that would look like arms crossed and the tree having his "head" in the middle, as if frowning and being of some bad mood. I didn't quite manage to do it (he more looks like an ill-manerred frog-tree), but since the pix is now online, I thought you might want to get an eye and possibly refine your character's design.