AuthorTopic: [WIP] Iso: House  (Read 11770 times)

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Re: [WIP] Iso: House

Reply #20 on: December 08, 2009, 05:31:22 pm
A little more contrast is needed. Especially the darker range of colors is lacking.

Offline Triple

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: December 08, 2009, 07:04:58 pm
My pixeled 2D MMORPG: https://discord.gg/TmHHJkG

Offline Zoggles

• Conjuring stuff
    • View Profile
    • Mini Wizard Studios

Reply #22 on: December 08, 2009, 07:44:35 pm
At the moment, despite the texturing it still appears very 'thin' and flat on every side.

I've made a couple of quick edits to part of it:
  • added some highlighting to edges (window frames / door frame / beams)
  • made the main beams stick out a bit more than the panelling
  • re-did and simplified your chimney brickwork. Your brick-offsetting is very minimal in your chimney. Usually bricks are placed centrally over the gap between bricks on the row below - not just slightly to one side. You do not need to use so many colours.

It could really use more contrast - i.e darker shades for the front-left face and more shadowing under the eaves of the roof, next to main support beams etc.

Still.. hope this gives you a few ideas.

-Z-

Sorry if I don't seem to ever comment on your posts, but anything hosted on imageshack or most image hosting web sites is blocked from China. If I can't see it I can't therefore comment on it :(

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: December 10, 2009, 12:32:00 pm
I see the same problem here that I see in tons of iso work. It's like, you made a big box, then started adding more boxes to it for details, and it's obvious in the finished product. It's very difficult, or impossible to imagine all the details on some object you have not interacted with intimately. This is why people always say to look at references. A barn is not really just a big box, a house isn't either. There is a logic to it's construction that is apparent in how the finished thing looks. I know you're not making a barn, but look at this as a structure:

See, it is a very complicated object, not just a big square. So basically what I'm saying is, if I asked you to draw a chair, you could make a flat square with 4 square legs coming down, and a flat square at 90 degrees from the seat, but thats boring, while chairs can be interesting and vastly more complex then that:

Offline Triple

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: December 21, 2009, 05:48:43 pm
I will resume this project later on (and answer your comments and such), but for now my time is focused on other things such as christmas and a retake of 1 exam.
My pixeled 2D MMORPG: https://discord.gg/TmHHJkG