AuthorTopic: The Devil's Tower, Castlevania clone**  (Read 5718 times)

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

The Devil's Tower, Castlevania clone**

on: December 19, 2009, 07:10:09 am
Hello there! Me again!

My week of work hell is over for now. So that means time for pixel art! I have been working on a little project called Devil's Tower. I have been doing bits and pieces this week, but most recently worked on the walk animation again. I would love to try some motion blur sometime, though I don't know where to get started.

Study2

Character Study Update

Environment Work

There seems to be a slight skip somewhere in the animation. Not sure what causes that.

It is still wip. Only one leg atm. Sorry bout that.

Some other works for the game:

Previous of the above:

@Jad: Is this the technique you were meaning?

Any CnC?

And if a problem is contrast, I'm still not sure how to fix it. Any help there would be welcome.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 01:26:59 am by xhunterko »

Offline Lizzrd

• View Profile

Re: The Devil's Tower, Castlevania clone

Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 07:42:15 am
I think you should reduce the background on the second screen to 2 colors. Maybe take the darkest on it except on the lightest highlight where you use next-to-darkest color.
Photocopier: the fact that arne can also code so well
Photocopier: is horrificly unfair

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 09:32:37 am
You're definitely improving, I'll say that right away. They are bigger and clearer then your previous stuff, and I can see your shading is getting more advanced. Also, not everything is totally saturated, yay!

The first point I'd say you should work on is getting rid of the black lines. They can be used well, I know, but they are really only detracting from your work. Especially the black lines on the inside areas, like the face. Especially the face. The mouth on the guy with the red goatee is pretty nice, if you use a dark skin color or something, instead of the black line, it could work. His eyes look like buttons though, not working at all.

As for the run... not sure what's going on there. Is it WIP? If so I'd try and animate a skeleton first, just lines. This is to get the movement looking right, then draw the forms on top of the lines. Don't reuse the torso and arms for the run, it will not look right.

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 08:01:04 pm
Thanks for the animation tips Nacl. I haven't had time for animation this week. I wouldn't know why.  ::)

Just some enironment work. I'll have to look at the old castlevania's to determine how they did the dark rooms with the arched windows. They should be at least higher off the floor then they are. I'll fix that in a bit. Right now it looks like the light isn't going into the room. I also went with a lighter background. I thought it made more sense anyway. I also think I have the pillars correct. What do you think?

CnC, please?

Offline JonathanOfDrain

• Lonely
    • View Profile
    • TheyWillEat.Us

Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 04:48:28 am
A few things about your characters turn me off.
They all have the same body shape. The eyes are weird too, the characters seem to be looking down and back. EYES FORWARD!
The head isn't nearly as round as you depict it. Practice basic human anatomy. It'll help a lot in the short run and even more in the long run.

I don't like black outlines. Just my personal preference. Why use pure black when you can soften things with a smoother transfer or contrasting color?
Try not to get caught up on details. These guys are going to be moving around on a screen, people won't notice most of these details. Get the general look blocked in then slowly work smaller and smaller. That's sort of the painterly approach, but it does work. For me.

Try mixing a little bit of color into your whites, blacks and greys. It's fun and will make them a little bit easier to look at.

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Re: The Devil's Tower, Castlevania clone*

Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 07:02:55 am
I think I fixed the eyes.

Hmmm...?

What do you think?

Offline 7321551

• a.k.a. Jarrad
    • View Profile

Re: The Devil's Tower, Castlevania clone*

Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 09:25:09 am
To improve the pose, perhaps you could initially construct him out of simple shapes. It's a little uncanny, the way in which he is holding his sword perpendicular to the viewer, with one hand, at that angle.

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Re: The Devil's Tower, Castlevania clone**

Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 02:05:42 am

However, to be partly argumentive:

http://www.spriters-resource.com/snes/knightsround/sheet/16472
http://www.spriters-resource.com/custom_edited/finalfantasy/sheet/17264

Granted, that's not a very common pose. Other sword wielders from behind often though have it at a angle touching the ground.

Not to mean any disrespect to 73's crit by any means of course.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 07:33:31 am by xhunterko »

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Re: The Devil's Tower, Castlevania clone**

Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 05:49:14 am
So, you're making a FF7 parody?

No, I couldn't help myself.

The head looks rather blob-y because you're just throwing shading in there, you should have shading to show that theres a semblance of eyebrows, a mouth, a chin, a nose, ears, etc.