AuthorTopic: Blue Guy  (Read 2521 times)

Offline ProfessorLayton

• View Profile

Blue Guy

on: December 20, 2009, 08:48:34 pm
I am new to pixel arts, I have heard of it and messed with making game sprites (such as tibia swords and blah blah blah) but I never attempted any sort of Character / person.
This is my first attempt at a character. Please give me your critic and what I should do to improve it. (I don't think my shading and highlighting is to great :/)

png:

jpeg:

Thanks,
Brandon
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 08:50:28 pm by ProfessorLayton »

Offline Lizzrd

• View Profile

Re: Blue Guy

Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 09:15:45 pm
Try to look at sprites people here have made zoomed in, then try to replicate the techniques you see.
Photocopier: the fact that arne can also code so well
Photocopier: is horrificly unfair

Offline Jorund

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 09:37:54 pm
First of all, when doing some character you need characteristics :P Yeah, I know it sounds stupid. But right now your guy is just a button with cross-eyes. Are those intentional? If yes, then try to make it look that is intentional, and not like you just mirrored them. The same thing happens with the rest.

If you don't know how to make arms and legs (like myself  :D), then don't put him some smileys extremities. Again, unless that's what you are going for.
Better concentrate on the head for now, and then add the rest.

Also, the shadow you gave the head made it look like a clickable button. It seems that if your character would turn, it wouldn't be a sphere, but a square.

This is a quick edit I made:

In conclusion the most important thing you need is to know what you're going for. If what you are going for is just practice, then as Lizzard said learn from looking at other people sprites.

Offline ProfessorLayton

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 09:43:13 pm
Thanks for the tips guys :).
The quick edit you did helped me understand better what you ment, thanks :)