AuthorTopic: Hi there - some of my material for you to check out.  (Read 15724 times)

Offline Nix

• when life throws you pixels.. make pixelade
    • View Profile

Re: Hi there - some of my material for you to check out.

Reply #20 on: March 16, 2006, 05:47:37 pm
youve just moved to one of my favourite artists :)

i love alot of the games youve worked on..

espescially micro machine on megadrive..

sim city is one of my fav games to. :D

the popeye animation is very nice but maybe it should be abit slower ..
Nixel Art

Offline Vicious Zen

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: March 17, 2006, 05:34:14 am
You did art for Double Dragon 2? Damn. I love the double dragon games.
You have some serious skills to you, I'll say.

I'd put a little bit less snap to the pop-eye walk, the upper body skips a bit much for my liking.

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #22 on: March 17, 2006, 08:57:16 am
Your absolutley right Zen...
Fairplay... it's only 6 frames... (Ideally it should be 8)  I could add a couple more tweens into the crossover frames that should reduce the snap...

and as far as Double Dragon 2 was concerned I wouldn't get too excited it was the zx spectrum version back in 87 - not exactly cutting edge... :P

Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline BlackEye

• View Profile
    • blackeye.org

Reply #23 on: March 17, 2006, 09:06:31 am
i really dig the avatar works you've done. very nice color choices and great details.

i'd love to know what was your job on the games you've listed above.
-blackeye-

Offline baccaman21

• View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #24 on: March 17, 2006, 09:10:15 am
I say on the first 20 or so... (at the end) - generally... design, art and co producer in the early days... more recently I've been a manager... with aspects of game design and graphic developement, although the latter not as much as in the old days, more of an advisory role and when things got tough I'd help out, and technically resolve problems (in a graphical sense) when conventions were broken (too many colors being used or bad pallette management being a prime example)

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline hawken

• 8bit fantasy
    • hawkun
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio

Reply #25 on: March 19, 2006, 03:50:26 pm
just wondering how you kept all your old art?

All the stuff I did in the amiga days is lost forever because we couldn't find a way to get the date off the discs without an amiga. After that I just threw them out in the trash when moving to Japan.

nice work btw. Dizzy was just about my favorite game on the speccy. Never saw it on the c64 but very much enjoyed it again on the Amiga.
twitter: https://twitter.com/hawkun
Pirate Pop Plus for 3DS, WiiU & Steam!

Offline Vicious Zen

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: March 19, 2006, 06:19:35 pm
Oh, and I just noticed, you've got the extra 4 pixels on your avatar corners, but not in the one you posted in the topic.

Offline baccaman21

• View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #27 on: March 19, 2006, 07:05:23 pm
just wondering how you kept all your old art?

All the stuff I did in the amiga days is lost forever because we couldn't find a way to get the date off the discs without an amiga. After that I just threw them out in the trash when moving to Japan.

nice work btw. Dizzy was just about my favorite game on the speccy. Never saw it on the c64 but very much enjoyed it again on the Amiga.

This simple answer to this is that I never had to transfer data across as I have always used PC's... Even for Amiga art.

The problem I found with switching to Dpaint on the 'Mig was the joker's who coded it in their infinite wisdom swapped the YES/NO postions around when it asked you to quit with 'unsaved changes'... which meant I lost tons of work all the time... I tried the mig for a month or so but just lost so much material because of this so I swapped back to PC.

Its a shame you binned your work but still... I understand why. I've lost loads over the years, just through sheer bloody mindedness... and now regret it.

I'm glad you liked the Dizzy games... great days.

Cheers
Pete

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline sevenfingers

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: March 19, 2006, 07:18:50 pm
Well, what can I say?

Top notch work.
Then again, I'm sure you already knew about that :)

My fave is the portraits (like the one in your avatar). The backlighting is a neat touch.
You guys did a nice job on the pacman stuff also. Hard to make something that simplistic (and rather boring) look kewl.

Captain Blood

Reply #29 on: March 19, 2006, 08:06:31 pm

These frame per chance?

That's the stuff, thanks.  Would be nice to see it animated though.  And the walking animation.  Loved the way he swung those huge hands.

What happened was, after we finished doing magicland dizzy i think it was, the olivers asked us to come up with a new dizzy adventure... in my infinite wisdom I set in hollywood... the ollies liked it at first but then decided not to run with dizzy in hollywood... and at the same time I'd been messing around with this here character... so we decided to name him seymour and whack him in his own adventure... et voila... seymour goes to hollywood was born...

Yeah I think I read that somewhere.  Dunno where though.  Maybe an old issue of Amstrad Action or something.  I'm just hugely into CPC graphics right now.  Takes me back to my childhood and for me personally has a style of it's own.