AuthorTopic: Hi there - some of my material for you to check out.  (Read 15643 times)

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In
Hi all

Just thought I'd introduce myself to the forum as I joined up yesterday after a long absence away from the scene.

Been making graphics now for games since the early days of the home computer market back in the 80's...

anyone remember this little chap?

This is a 32 frame rotation graphic for a game called SLIX that never actually made it to completion... needless to say it was on the AMIGA and was essentially an updated version of Super Sprint, in isometric. Took a while to create this rotation as it was all done by hand, back in the days before 3d rendering packages.

I was involved with a GBA version of an animaniacs game that I don't know if ever made it to the shelves or not? This animation of YACKO was originally pencilled on animation paper prior to scanning, coloring, scaling and final touch ups. The original pencil work was mostly provided by a colleague who was an ex disney animator and pulled into GBA format and constraints by myself. It's an interesting way of working, more time consuming perhaps than working direct to screen but the end results tend to look a little more fluid IMO.

Last year, I finished work on Pacman World 2 for the GBA; shown here are three versions of the little chap. The first one is the initial character as taken from Pacman world 1 - where everything was rendered - Yack! He loses somewhat in terms of character, clarity and definition... The second version is after he was touched up for use in Pacman world 2. It was decided that he was too large on screen so we reduced him in scale. The Third one is the final scaled version that was used in the game.  (thanks to PTOING for taking the original base template sequences provided by me and working the rest of the animations up to completion... there were a LOT of sequences)

These are a few anims taken from a CGB version of UNO back in 1999... these sequences appeared when you drew (or played) the Wild Draw, Draw 4, or Boomerang cards...

I don't think these chaps need much introduction... suffise to say it was for a GBA game... (less said of which the better)

Here's some Avatars from a Game from 1998 Called :ACM 1914 - never really went anywhere in terms of sales, it was 3D flying game on the PC set at the dawn of flight, all biplanes and barrage balloons... Was rather pleased with these chaps, There was 12 of them originally... brits, yanks, german and french pilots...  unfortunatly I've only got 3 left... 2 German Pilots, and 1 American... can you guess which is which?

16 colors, 64x64

This was my Rim lighting period. Nice effect - inspired by Dan Malone's work on Chaos Engine.

Anyway that's enough for now... I daresay I'll add some more material at some point. Feel Free to comment.

Thanks

:)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 05:08:58 pm by baccaman21 »
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline Matriax

• View Profile
    • MATRIAX PIXEL GRAPHICS

Re: Hi there - some of my material for you to check out.

Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 03:50:39 pm
All the graphics are very good. The animations are very fluid :)

For my the best are the avatars, good choose of colours and very well done design  :D

And the animation i like more is this:

Is very interesting for my :)

Captain Blood

Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 04:33:16 pm
Nice work.  Have you worked on any other games some of us may know about?  Whether Amiga, GBA, or whatever?

I have that Justice League game and played it quite a lot til my GBA SP was stolen.  I quite enjoyed but maybe it's just cos of the cartoon it's based on and the nice graphics.  Though there are far worse licensed games on GBA.  Men In Black for example... everyone should play that game just the once to see the horror of it's sprite work...

Offline baccaman21

• View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 05:01:40 pm
Here's a list of the stuff I can remember for you.

- Double Dragon 2      - Spectrum (virgin)             - Artwork
- Raster runner       - Spectrum/Amstrad (Mastertronic)       - Design/Artwork
- Kamikaze         - Spectrum (Codemasters)          - Artwork
- Magicland Dizzy       - Spectrum/Amstrad (Codemasters)       - Artwork
- Wacky Darts          - Spectrum, Amstrad, Amiga, ST (Codemasters)   - Design, Artwork
- Panic Dizzy         - Spectrum, Amstrad, C-64 (Codemasters)      - Design, Artwork
- Seymour goes to Hollywood    - Spectrum, Amstrad, C-64 (Codemasters)    -Design, Art & Co-Produced
- Dizzy, Prince of the yolkfolk - Spectrum, Amstrad, C-64 (Codemasters)    - Design, Art & Co-Produced
- Spellbound Dizzy      - Spectrum, Amstrad, C-64 (Codemasters)      - Design, Art & Co-Produced
- Panic Dizzy         - Spectrum, Amstrad, C-64 (Codemasters)      - Design, Art & Co-Produced
- Steg the Slug         - Spectrum, Amstrad, C-64 (Codemasters)      - Design, Art & Co-Produced
- Supa Seymour Saves the Planet - Spectrum, Amstrad, C64, Amiga, ST      - Game Design and Co-Produced
- CJ's Elephant Antics      - Spectrum (codemasters)         - Artwork
- CJ in the USA         - SPectrum (codemasters)         - Design & Art
- Wildwest Seymour      - Spectrum, Amstrad, C-64    - Game Design, Artwork and Co-Produced
- Captain Dynamo      - Spectrum, Amstrad, C-64   - Graphic Design
- Game Genie         - Game Gear & Game Boy      - Graphics
- Micro Machines       - Gameboy DMG         - Graphics Conversion
- Micro Machines 2       - Megadrive          - Graphics
- CJ's Elephant Antics      - Game Gear         - Graphics, Design and Production
- Dropzone         - Game Gear         - Graphics Conversion
GBC:
- Actua Soccer
- Carmageddon
- Tom & Jerry      - Conspiracy Entertainment
- Uno         - Hotgen / Mattel Interactive
- Barbie Pet Rescue    - Mattel Interactive
- The Land Before Time   - Conspiracy Entertainment / Universal
- Flintstones: burgertime in bedrock - conspiracy/universal
- Techdeck Skateboarding         - handheld games
GBA:
- Animaniacs      - Conspiracy Entertainment / Warner Bros
- Dave Mirra BMX 2   - Acclaim US
- Agressive Inline   - Acclaim US
- Punch King      - Acclaim US
- Dave Mirra BMX 3   - Acclaim US
- Beyblades: V-Force   - Atari / Nelvana
- Freekstyle      - DSI/Electronic Arts
- Justice League   - Midway / Warner Bros
- Pac-Man World 1   - DSI / Namco
- Ms.Pacman Maze Madness- DSI / Namco
- Monopoly      - DSI / Hasbro
- Sim City      - DSI / Maxxis
- Beyblades: G-Rev   - Atari / Nelvana
- Pac-Man World 2   - DSI / Namco
- Backyard Skating   - Atari / Humungous Entertainment

www.burnzombieburn.com

Captain Blood

Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 05:07:48 pm
Hey, you worked on the Seymour and Dizzy games?  I been playing those again on the Amstrad emulator WinApe as I'm doing some Amstrad stuff in Mode 1 and just getting some inspiration about how to work in the 4 color mode.  Might be getting it ported to Spectrum as well though I don't want it looking like a cheap Spectrum port on the CPC version.

Offline goat

• bl33t
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 05:11:56 pm
Very impressive, welcome to the forum!  Enjoy the continuation of your journey to oneness with the pixel :p
typing ewith fdace

Offline baccaman21

• View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006, 05:13:57 pm
well if you're interested I'll find the seymour sprites... I got them knocking around somewhere... According to AMIGA power... they said of the character seymour that... "anyone with a grin that manic has to be the SPAWN of satan" - so I guess that makes me Satan?

Funny... the character started up as me playing around with phonemes and trying to get lip synching going on with the dialogue boxes from the dizzy games... I can't remember if we ever kept the talking frames in the game?

I'll have a scoot about and post em shortly...

www.burnzombieburn.com

Captain Blood

Reply #7 on: March 15, 2006, 05:18:17 pm
You actually created Seymour?  He was one of my fave sprites on my CPC and inspired me with a character I made (though at the time mine was made up of four ASCII characters stacked in 2x2 and using the SYMBOL command in BASIC to change their appearance).  He had a great walking animation and a slighly disturbing death animation.  I liked his hat in Wild West Seymour too.  Never did manage to buy any of his games though I did have Seymour Take One from the Amstrad Action covertape.  I collected Dizzy like mad though.  Traded my packed lunch with friends at school to collect all the tapes.

I loved this weird atmosphere Dizzy had on the CPC.  Dark backgrounds, and he had a green tint to him with red gloves and eyes.  The more colorful versions with blue skies and all that didn't appeal to me so much.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 05:20:37 pm by Captain Blood »

Offline baccaman21

• View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #8 on: March 15, 2006, 05:25:47 pm

These frame per chance?

What happened was, after we finished doing magicland dizzy i think it was, the olivers asked us to come up with a new dizzy adventure... in my infinite wisdom I set in hollywood... the ollies liked it at first but then decided not to run with dizzy in hollywood... and at the same time I'd been messing around with this here character... so we decided to name him seymour and whack him in his own adventure... et voila... seymour goes to hollywood was born...

We ended up doing Dizzy Spellbund I think after that...

;)

anyway... I'm off to the gym... be back later.

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #9 on: March 15, 2006, 05:56:28 pm
Whoa, the oldest of the oldschool. I've played quite a lot of the games you've worked on. Very nice art I must say. Welcome to the forums.