AuthorTopic: New Site Banner  (Read 6736 times)

Offline ironwallaby

• the pixel artist formerly known as nem
    • View Profile
    • Personal Website

Re: New Site Banner

Reply #10 on: March 20, 2006, 02:23:02 pm
Not quite. It's less the number of colors and more the colors chosen, and more what you do with them. Making something look SNES is something I've not gotten down, it's a very subtle art.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #11 on: March 20, 2006, 04:12:20 pm
Not quite. It's less the number of colors and more the colors chosen, and more what you do with them. Making something look SNES is something I've not gotten down, it's a very subtle art.

Eh? There is no such thing as making something look SNES. At least not really. The snes has 15 bit colour and 8x8 tiles with 16 colours per tile. That's as far as it goes in making something looks SNES. The NES has only 50odd colours so making something look NES is easier.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #12 on: April 03, 2006, 03:42:46 am
 I've noticed games like SF, mario, sonic, megaman, etc share a similiar style in them. I want to make sprites that look like them. How do I get a NES style look?

Offline Crazy Asian Gamer

• Guess who follows trends?
    • View Profile
    • CAG's NONEXISTANT Page... of DOOM

Reply #13 on: April 03, 2006, 03:46:53 am
I've noticed games like SF, mario, sonic, megaman, etc share a similiar style in them. I want to make sprites that look like them. How do I get a NES style look?
Simple. Get the games and play them.
Although honestly, it'd be best if you understood the limitations in which these sprites were made. Most of them were made to fit an 8x16 space with only... 3 colors + trans, thus a consistent style is somewhat unavoidable (not saying it isn't). Besides that, they may actually be radically different when you check up close.

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #14 on: April 03, 2006, 04:51:20 am
 Ah, so NES would be 3 colors with trans?