AuthorTopic: Boring character needs to be spiffed up  (Read 6312 times)

Offline Zweckform

• Monks shouldn't pixel
    • View Profile

Boring character needs to be spiffed up

on: December 18, 2009, 12:48:22 pm
Hello,

here is my first attempt on doing a fighter-like. He is called Kura Sao and its the blue edtion. He is thought to be a standard enemy like the punks in Final Fight.
While i think its a quite solid work, it lacks some really interesting aspects. I was thinking of adding a jeans jacket or some golden necklace. Also the pants seem to need some other shading.
So if you got any ideas to pimp the pimp then don't hesitate  :)

First version:

Current version:
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 12:15:25 pm by Zweckform »

Offline Maru

• THIS HOUSE IS CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Werepop

Re: Boring character needs to be spiffed up

Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 02:12:10 pm
Give him pimpin' shades and a cane! :hehe:

Seriously though, I feel originality of a character should come from the creator. Otherwise it isn't original, right? I'm sure you can think of some cool gear to make him less generic!

Right now I feel his skin tone is far too yellow and his nipples are too center, his pecs are too round so they look like boobies instead õ_ó;

Also his feet are facing two different directions and one leg is a completely different shape to the other...Maybe fix his pose up to be a bit more natural first before you start changing his outfit? Also is there a need for his hair to be the same colour as his jeans? It just looks a bit odd...in my opinion anyway...

Nice job on the muscles so far though!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 02:13:44 pm by Maru »

Offline Zweckform

• Monks shouldn't pixel
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 03:16:42 pm
Hello,

Give him pimpin' shades and a cane! :hehe:

Seriously though, I feel originality of a character should come from the creator. Otherwise it isn't original, right? I'm sure you can think of some cool gear to make him less generic!
This is a bit of a misunderstanding then, i did not want to ask for a new design of, just wanted some opinions about the gadgets i had in mind. The main problem are the trousers atm, i am not quite happy with them. Maybe i should tear some parts of it.

Right now I feel his skin tone is far too yellow and his nipples are too center, his pecs are too round so they look like boobies instead õ_ó;
The skin tone really seems to bother people.  :huh: For me his nipples are not center at all  ???

Also his feet are facing two different directions and one leg is a completely different shape to the other...Maybe fix his pose up to be a bit more natural first before you start changing his outfit? Also is there a need for his hair to be the same colour as his jeans? It just looks a bit odd...in my opinion anyway...

I thought of the pose of being natural. Its very common to have your feet like that during fighting imho, but i might be wrong  ???

The hair could have any colour, yet i sticked to 16 colours. I will toy with the palette, i think there is room for improvement on that side.

Nice job on the muscles so far though!

Thanks!

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 11:53:44 pm
Hmm you juked all his critique, yet I agree with pretty much all of it. Maybe you should reconsider what he's saying. I have a few critiques too:

I don't think interesting character design will come about by making a dude, then adding a bunch of knick-knacks to him, like medallions and torn jeans and stuff. I think a good character is going to be designed top down, with a concept in mind, and then the details made according to the concept. I guess you could make a cool character the other way, as long as the details you add aren't trifling.

You seem sure the pose is natural, but my first impression didn't agree. He looks rigid, unbalanced, and confusing in his stance. I think I understand the pose you're going for, but this doesn't give the impression that his legs are under him in a way that could support him. The right (OUR right) looks too far forward. I suppose it is a complicated pose though. Also his arms are in an odd position, I tried making that pose and I can't see why I'd ever put my arms like that, elbows splayed out and all.

Pillow-shading, mostly on the jeans.

Offline WM

• cubist
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 01:18:47 am
You have only two types of colors in there:  fairly-neural skintones, and cool blues, both of which have a calming effect and, by themselves, are not really suited for an action-oriented characted in a fighting game.

Just start throwing around some palette ideas.

Offline buddy90

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 01:36:01 am
Personally, I think the concept is fine. Look at these Final Fight screenies...

The player has a grey tee and tight jeans. Very typical, no? And look at the enemies. Their clothes almost look like jumpsuits.

But they do look dynamic and energetic. I think that's what makes them exciting. Hope that helps you.

Offline WM

• cubist
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 01:40:40 am
Personally, I think the concept is fine. Look at these Final Fight screenies...

The player has a grey tee and tight jeans. Very typical, no? And look at the enemies. Their clothes almost look like jumpsuits.

But they do look dynamic and energetic. I think that's what makes them exciting. Hope that helps you.

What really make those colors work is the wide range of highlights and shadows, which is what gives each image eye-popping energy.

Good find, a couple of those character seem to be designed similar to the OP's sprite, so hopefully this will help him out.

Offline Zweckform

• Monks shouldn't pixel
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 19, 2009, 06:18:04 am
Hello,

first of all thanks for all the helpful replies. I reworked the pose and the shading also several minor changes here and there.

Once again, Ladies and Gentlemen, you are invited to add your fair comments.

@NaCl: "Hmm you juked all his critique, yet I agree with pretty much all of it. Maybe you should reconsider what he's saying."

I did not mean to and i considered it. Thats what i meant with "...I might be wrong". It seems in addition to improve my pixel skills i also will also improve my communication skills in forums  ;D

Offline Zweckform

• Monks shouldn't pixel
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 04:40:43 am
Hello,

no this old pal was reworked to look like a sailor. The shins also got some attention. Next i try some animation on this one.

Offline skeme_IN5

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 06:25:48 am
quick 5 minute edit:

i made his waist wider and longer, made his legs longer and turned the rear foot in.
Come in peace or leave in pieces