AuthorTopic: Blocky the Thug  (Read 5159 times)

Offline Conexion

• Pixel Penguin
    • View Profile

Blocky the Thug

on: December 16, 2009, 08:22:33 am

http://davidbradbury.deviantart.com/art/Blocky-the-Thug-146924012

Decided to start doing some low-poly 3D work. . . this is my first real try at, so any good critique is much appreciated. Thanks!

Offline LoTekK

• View Profile
    • LoTekK.com

Re: Blocky the Thug

Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 08:38:20 am

Spend a couple of tris and give him a nose. With the polycount, you could get a nose, and even some ears on there, possibly a mouth. From the shots (post wireframes), it looks like you simply took a subdivided cube with a neck and moved some verts around. Be bold: cut some edges, turn them, tweak them, study other lowpoly models to see where they place their edges. Also, your texture is crying out for some contrast. Additionally, at the resolution you're using, you'd be better off painting and then doing pixel touchup, rather than doing 4/8-bit pixel work.

edit:
also, feel free to lose the watermark. It's distracting, and doesn't stop anyone from stealing the images, were they so inclined. Just stick with the title and info text. Really.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 08:44:13 am by LoTekK »

Offline Conexion

• Pixel Penguin
    • View Profile

Re: Blocky the Thug

Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 05:50:57 am
Thanks, and yeah I agree that the nose and some other details could be improved by adding very little if any polygons. I'll make some improvements and post them soon! Here is the wire-frame. Thanks a ton for the suggestions :)