AuthorTopic: honor over dollars  (Read 25425 times)

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Re: honor over dollars

Reply #50 on: December 18, 2009, 06:56:10 pm
Also if an employer doesn't think you've got the chops to do a job, that's for them to decide. Don't do the work of rejecting yourself on their behalf. If I couldn't draw horses and I had an opportunity to do a gig where I had to draw a hundred of them, I would see it as a learning opportunity. If all I ever drew was what I already know I can draw I might as well get a job bagging groceries somewhere.
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #51 on: December 18, 2009, 07:19:06 pm
@Dusty - "There is never an excuse to steal art" - but then you stole art, apparently, and gave an excuse. Depends on the definition of stealing though.
Is this about the pixeljoint avatar that was linked? Because it's not stealing if it's collaborative, and I gave full disclosure that the original concept was not mines. If it's about my avatar, I think that's already been covered.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #52 on: December 18, 2009, 08:57:52 pm
Heh, the funny thing about this whole thread is the notion that Ptoing's avatar makes him look "novice". I've always considered that avatar to be extremely well executed and being a blend of humor and a reference to Ptoing's love for pixeling chunky robots.

If that avatar doesn't scream "excellent artist", then what avatar on this site does?

Offline Photocopier

• View Profile

Reply #53 on: December 18, 2009, 09:26:40 pm
the timing always amuses me  ^-^#
I have no avatar, what does that make me?

@ontopic.
I agree with what many people have already said, I would learn to draw the subject in question, if the game was based on horses I imagine an employer would look at a portfolio with horses in mind.

Offline TheOne

• View Profile

Reply #54 on: December 18, 2009, 09:37:26 pm
@ben - thx for answering my question.

@dusty - i'm only talking about the two avatars already. if ur definition of stealing was taking another sprite and editing it (regardless of purpose, 'cult' status, consent, legal status of work, skill of original artist etcetera) then its still theft. obviously u have a different definition to tet.

I now think the original question is wrong because i don't think tetsuya could edit a horse so that only an experienced artist could tell. Unless someone can give an example where they are able to rip and disguise the work (without being able to draw it for themselves,  or it being quicker and still matching overall aesthetic) its stupid discussing its merits.

@Frycko- lol!

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #55 on: December 18, 2009, 09:47:18 pm
Gee, sorry tetsuya! I by no means ever mean to insult, I'm just being frank, and you misunderstood what I typed judging from the response.

this topic has many topics

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #56 on: December 18, 2009, 09:56:42 pm
It's infuriating for me to see a waste of the good-will of many commentators in this thread to the original poster. But perhaps somebody else reading this has gathered something useful from it, so it's not a total loss. Bad vibes here though, so this is locked. Next time if you have questions tetsuya_shino, be more courteous about how you receive answers. Nobody's here to serve you.