AuthorTopic: honor over dollars  (Read 25145 times)

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Re: honor over dollars

Reply #40 on: December 18, 2009, 12:48:35 am
I see your original confusing post has been conveniently edited for us to understand better...The first time I read it, I assumed it was for a real job, and that you didn't have the capacity to draw a horse correctly.

Edit: looks like Ptoing beat me to the punch...any hoo, welcome to pixelation, haven't really seen you around before, Tets...
my back hurts...

Offline TheOne

• View Profile

Reply #41 on: December 18, 2009, 11:29:55 am
@WM - If the question was "how do you draw horses" it would be wrong to dismiss hobbyists opinions they can have the same skills as professionals. I originally thought it was: "working as a freelance pixel artist, can I get away with some gaps in my knowledge". It then seemed silly to have people talk about their ideal view of the world. Look at say what dusty says on liability and what BigBrother says. Look at what Lotekk says on the 'invisible hand' that will smite ripping and what BigBrother says occured at Gameloft.

It’d be interesting to hear from Ben2theedge (is he art project manager at gameloft or something?) if things are done differently there now.

@Dusty - "There is never an excuse to steal art" - but then you stole art, apparently, and gave an excuse. Depends on the definition of stealing though. You're right though I can't tell who is a hobbyist or pro anyone even you could be getting paid for it.

@jakten - thanks for answering my question. maybe the shinobi sprite may have used the lithograph also see the similarities with frame 10 although they mucked the ordering of hind legs up.

Offline tetsuya_shino

• Yokosuka, Japan
    • View Profile

Reply #42 on: December 18, 2009, 01:59:01 pm
I wouldn't take too much offense, tetsuya.  The way the post read and the naturally provocative moral question that accompanied it made it hard for artists not to be passionate with their responses - even to the point of assuming that you were considering it.

I thought it was very clear that I was asking a 'what would you do' question. I even scanned thought it a second time to be sure. I later saw a glaring spelling error and thats when I edited it once.  Could I have made it clearer? Sure.

I later said that it was pointless to even post this because no one would shoot them self in the foot and admit to using stolen art to get a job. If there was such a person that did this and would admit to it, I'd this ask this question; Did you feel bad about doing it? Would you do it again? It's the artist mind, not mouse/pen that this topic was about.

@ptoing: I could say the same thing about you. You look like a novice. Do you see the problem with judging people solely by their avatars now? The stirke doesn't bother me. Give me another after reading this if you like.

@B.O.B: Thanks for the welcome. Although to assume I am 'new' isn't quite right. I just don't come to this site very often. But I was bored last night (it's the future here in Japan, ya know)
 and I'd thought I'd ask an interesting question to kill some time. Nothing more, nothing less. I didn't expect all this,.. but it entertaining after all.

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #43 on: December 18, 2009, 02:14:11 pm
Tetsuya,  if you are going to continue down this path you're heading right now then I truly believe you should leave on your own regards.  Us moderators have better things to do than play a game of "strikes" with you when you have such clear disregard for them.   Man up - either stop being an ass, or leave.

there was some good discussion here, but you taking personal offense and your assy attitude is a shame.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 02:17:46 pm by Indigo »

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #44 on: December 18, 2009, 03:51:53 pm
I'm glad my avatar does imply my level of inability. That's good. Less Jerry Springer, more pixeling, comrades. Especially you, tets. I'm grateful the mods control the herd as they do, otherwise what would this place be like . . .
(thank you, mods!)

ONTOPIC
No, even if I could find appropriate art assets to fit the bill, I would never rip anything from something else's creative work in order to skate by if faced with a difficult task.

When faced with a project involving skills I know I have weaknesses in, I think, 'well, once it's done, I'll be better'. That's all. Sometimes I have to be pushed to do something, such as practice/improve in a certain area. Having a deadline can be nice motivation. I'm also always impelled by the desire to see what I, myself, can do. I love to add quality items to my body of work. If even part of the end result were not mine, I'd probably just want to hide it, and take little to no pride in it.

When I'm trying to devise a solution to a creative problem, am stumped, and go look at others' art and discover what they've done to solve it, I hate to even use their idea, let alone copy the exact pixels into my project, in effect ripping. That happens a lot to me with pixel art - ya know, can be anything from how to AA something difficult to how someone rendered clouds. My happiness is diminished if others' ideas find their way into my work, unless I directly ask for assistance or ideas, such as I'm doing with a couple pixel projects right now, which have become lost in the "Pixel Art" crit forum here.

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #45 on: December 18, 2009, 04:42:58 pm
That being said, I've encountered less scrupulous employers. When I worked at Gameloft, ripping art and indexing photos was standard procedure. I remember one title that featured effects ripped directly from a Capcom game (they didn't bother to even edit it or modify it slightly).  It's hard to stay creative and maintain your integrity in a climate like that.

Um, 100% not true. At least not in the past 3 years since I've been lead artist there.
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #46 on: December 18, 2009, 05:24:08 pm
Even though things surfaced weren't the one's you were searching for tets, they are things you can greatly benefit from if you want to be serious about the art.

@Ben2: Wiki says gameloft has 4000 employees. There's surely some people who are less concerned about morals. Good for you if you're with good people, sucks for those who aren't.

Offline Frychiko

• Don't waste garbage here.
    • View Profile

Reply #47 on: December 18, 2009, 05:28:12 pm
I take pride in the fact I never edit or rip sprites from others.

Do you also take pride in never stealing from anyone or knocking over blind people? Taking pride in not ripping sprites does not compute!
Congratulation this story is happy end. Thank you. - Ghost & Goblins

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #48 on: December 18, 2009, 05:39:54 pm
Um, 100% not true. At least not in the past 3 years since I've been lead artist there.

Our employment terms didn't overlap. I started  in 2005 under Joon, and Andrew was hired months later.

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Reply #49 on: December 18, 2009, 06:46:27 pm
To the original question.

Find another job to pursue ;D
Seriously..if things are not working out for you for 10 years, you might as well do something else productive that will earn you money.
But if it's just a hobby & "just another" sideline to do. Draw until your hands bleed  :lol:

And for a side comment, the only reason some artist don't progress is because they are just lazy or have other priorities to do.