AuthorTopic: honor over dollars  (Read 25138 times)

Offline tetsuya_shino

• Yokosuka, Japan
    • View Profile

honor over dollars

on: December 17, 2009, 12:45:04 am
Greetings. This is a question I always wondered; is being a pixel purist foolish in this day and age? I take pride in the fact I never edit or rip sprites from others.  I've been doing pixel art for over 10 years and I feel that I have above average skills. However, there are many things I still can't draw. Therefore I'm not as marketable as I could be. For example if there was a job posting to make a cowboy themed game I could make backgrounds and characters no problem, but I can't draw animals.. such as horses. And because of code I live by, I couldn't take that job if horses were needed to be drawn in that game. However, it would be so easy to rip and edit horses from other games... and I dare say that only another pixel artist would even know about the scam.
It would be great to get paid to push pixels, but not at the sake of my values.

So my question is, is my logic wrong? What would you do in the above example? Thank you.

- tetsuya_shino
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 12:48:14 am by tetsuya_shino »

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Re: honor over dollars

Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 12:57:31 am
I wouldn't take the job myself, I'd like to put my best work forward, and if I can't draw horses, then, oh well.
(Of course there's more to it than that, I'd practice horses, and if I'm satisfied, I'd accept the job, if someone else hasn't already.)

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 01:18:24 am
Learn to draw horses.

Seriously, don't ever consider an amoral path when something so simple and pure presents itself as another option, especially when money is involved. If you can't draw animals after ten years of doing pixel art I think it might be time to reassess your artistic abilities and make strides to improve them.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 01:22:03 am by Atnas »

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 01:39:41 am
There is never an excuse to steal art -- especially if it's for a job you're being paid for.

Offline WM

• cubist
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 01:52:30 am
You could always study the other pixel horses for ideas; there's nothing wrong with looking for inspiration.

However, actually reworking another person's image without their consent is neither alright nor professional in this situation

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 02:14:28 am
I know it was mentioned in the thread before, but I must echo: learn to draw horses. The rationalizations on why you're not doing it won't help you in anything in your life (if I'm allowed a guess).

THUS SPAKE SPACEHORSE

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 02:35:33 am
Oh god I want one.
Its an essential, it's right next to the nail clipper.

Where would I get those sorta things?

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 02:37:40 am
in any art store, dad got it to me as a joke gift, I don't really use it. Photo reference is much better.

Offline TheOne

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 03:15:49 am
resource: http://i33.tinypic.com/107jgvt.gif

If I couldn't draw horses what would I do? Rip from multiple horse sprites until you have something original looking. eg: shading style from shinobi sprite, pal from 3d horse, pose from photo. You could scale and rotate parts like the head from the shinobi sprite and clean up.

I definitely wouldn't commit hari-kari if I reused bits and pieces. The important thing is to make sure your sprites look consistent. Be aware that what you copy from has its own mistakes which you will take on. The other way out would be to have a simple style that makes anatomy less important.

It'd be interesting to hear what the pros think about ripping rather than hobbyists.

The other source for dishonor is the person you work for won't share your values and will ask you to make dirty compromises. Take up some of the indie jobs in the jobs section to get a feel for it. Also, if people start carrying around devices with resolutions greater than an iphone will that finally kill off pixel art + your career?

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 03:34:00 am
It'd be interesting to hear what the pros think about ripping rather than hobbyists.

From either vantage, don't do it.