AuthorTopic: Small game project  (Read 9128 times)

Offline aramaki

• View Profile

Re: Small game project

Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 03:31:54 pm
Monochrome
Then why not do both?  Publish on flash platform to catch up publicity and collect some stray bucks, while also create a stand alone free distributive with a possibility of expansions and put it on a separate website. 
The main problem in being recognized is to reach your audience. If not by extrimely popular ArmorGames then how else?

This bothers me now, because I also have a platfomer mockup in my sleave and an idea to release it somehow with profit.

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Reply #11 on: December 12, 2009, 03:40:19 pm
Monochrome
Then why not do both?  Publish on flash platform to catch up publicity and collect some stray bucks, while also create a stand alone free distributive with a possibility of expansions and put it on a separate website. 
The main problem in being recognized is to reach your audience. If not by extrimely popular ArmorGames then how else?

This bothers me now, because I also have a platfomer mockup in my sleave and an idea to release it somehow with profit.

This is getting pretty OT but Flash is easily THE most convenient route to reaching the widest audience and there are fair few well documented ways to monetise the platform. Wasn't Playfish recently sold for $400m or something crazy?

Offline Monochrome

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: December 12, 2009, 04:26:26 pm
I disagree completely. I think adobe is doing great work with Flash. The problem lies with the portals, who are selling sometimes great games for no money and throw them in between a bunch of mediocre games.

I've seen great Flash games and some of them are very popular, outside of the portals. Have you seen AdamAtomic's work?

By no means I am discrediting flash development. The problem is the audience and the way the product is delivered to the consumers. Flash portals incentivate a "play once and trash it" mentality that only very good game designers or a the marketing support of a publishing company manage to counter. Yet one must admit flash itself has a few shortcomings regarding longevity such as no mod support, no expansions, etc.

I find your comment very derogative towards Flash developers. Would you like it if 3D artists would tell you to work with a "real" art style instead of pixel art too?
real game engine

That's a bit of a logical fallacy you just did there since the two examples are not comparable at all. Exactly one of the problems with pixel art and general 2d art for videogames is that, or at least that is what I feel, nowadays it's excessively focused on flash development, which somehow diminuishes it's status towards a more "hardcore" gaming scene (if I'm allowed to use such expression). People tend to think 2D is either limited or outdated because they've got used to 3D on more solid game platforms, and most of the contact they have with 2D is essentially via flash games, which tend to be simpler and a lot shorter.

I'm sure Adam will love it if you say to his face that Flixel is not a "real game engine". I'm sure he would be better to spend his time on engines like Game Maker or BYOND, which are not Flash and therefore real.

You're putting words in my mouth. When I said "real game engine" I was merely considering flash as a language/platform, not as an engine. Which no matter how good it looks, sometimes, it's still pretty limited. And I personally dislike game maker and byond.

Monochrome

If you want to make money, I'd say go for flash. Just like rikfuzz just said:

This is getting pretty OT but Flash is easily THE most convenient route to reaching the widest audience and there are fair few well documented ways to monetise the platform. Wasn't Playfish recently sold for $400m or something crazy?

And personally I think he's totally right on the point he makes. Problem is there are different kinds of audience, and the one that frequently plays flash games is not used to replay old titles unless you're talking about something with a greater longevity like runescape. Mainly what defines it, is your final objective. If you ultimately want quick cash. flash is indeed the way to go. If, however, you intend to create a small yet solid community around your game, I'd say pick something else. Still keep in mind the second choice means little to no cash at all. Then again, it's all up to your choices.

And finally, I want to apollogize if I offended anyone, but I merely stated a personal opinion regarding consumer pratices and modern game development based on personal experience. Like all platforms flash has it's advantages and shortcomings; it's merely a tool, and it's us that choose what to make of it. Yet be warned that ignoring reality itself for the sake of platform preferences might be a mistake, especially if your objectives don't match the platform of your choice. I've seen some great flash games around the internet, but aside from runescape and a few more memorable ones, they're essentially oriented to quick casual play rather than providing a more durable and enjoyable experience to the player which is, to a certain extent, connected both with the limitations of flash itself and general market tendencies. And on the other hand I often feel sorry because every once in a while some amateur developpers come up with great game mechanics (fancy pants adventures for example) which end falling short to a community that's not used to play the same game twice.

That is all.

*EDIT*

Another thing I would like to reiterate is that flash can actually be a good platform for starting developers who want to get some attention or experience so they can later venture into more complex development. The Behemoth devs are natural flash programmers who felt the need to go beyond flash in order to venture into a more professional market. Yet they used flash as a marketing strategy when they created a demo to promote their first game, alien hominid.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 04:48:02 pm by Monochrome »
"God is dead, but considering the state of species Man is in, there will perhaps be caves, for ages yet, in which his shadow will be shown"

Friederich Nietzsche

Offline WM

• cubist
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: December 12, 2009, 09:25:15 pm
Time to get this back on topic  ;D :

What really bugged me is that the guardian's feet seem to be floating off the ground: upon further examination I see that he is standing on grass/moss, but (imo) it took too much examination on my (the viewer's) part to distinguish this. I believe the problem lies in two areas:

1: platform consistency. You lay a solid rock formation in the foreground, visually distinguishing it as the main foreground component (and therefore the object acting as the platform), and then you make a sudden shift to grass/moss right before it reaches the characters' feet; might I suggest making the shift to moss more gradual? (maybe make some moss and vines going down the top of the rock face from ground just a little)

2: background/foreground recognition. The color you have used for the moss is very close in value, hue, and saturation to the green you used to fill in the background space adjacent to it and all the colors in the tree trunk. Maybe choose one or two of the HSV properties, and try adjusting it to distinguish the layers.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 09:27:09 pm by WM »

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: December 12, 2009, 09:59:41 pm
One thing that really throws this piece off for me is the lack of depth or blackness to the rocks. It just looks so odd because usually the rocky shapes are faded into blackness, while these don't really fade into anything... the rocks just stop.

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: December 12, 2009, 10:33:46 pm
I really like this, especially the trees. I disagree with most crits towards the rocks or the guardian, I think the only problem is the hero and his animation. It looks of less quality then the rest, especially the run animation. I think the problems are that his arms don't move in a pendular way, his legs never extend, and he pushes backwards every time he moves up.

Offline coffee

• JohanAronson
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: December 17, 2009, 03:06:09 pm
Edit running animation (Sorry bout the non-transparent):

Tried to make it more living and personally I think it got a lot better, fixed the small movements of his body to be more in a circle also.

This is a quick setup with breathing and slidestop, just to give u a feeling of how it will look moving:

Lots of comments etc. I am doing this in paint and the animations are just made with a simple tree GIF animator
working great atm and is not planning to change to anything more complicated :)

Cool that the thread got popular however, some great crits that I will apply sooner or later.

Working on animate the Guardian atm, and yes he is split in different parts, so everything will be movable as you wish when it's coded and done.
Not something I can do in paint without it becoming rubbish because parts will turn etc. So it will be jagged for some moments.

Starting on some new small enemies that i'll upload as soon as I have time!

Thanks again and merry christmas!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 03:09:05 pm by coffee »

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: December 17, 2009, 08:48:52 pm
Oh geeze. I thought his brow ridge was bouncing when he ran! JELLY BROW. The bangs aren't that readable. The single pixel thick 45 degree exposure on his left thigh when idle looks unnatural, try spilling the light over that thigh a little more. Fresh character!

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: December 17, 2009, 09:17:13 pm
Hehe, his glasses just have that much inertia.
EDIT: oh, not jelly brow. I understand now. Why is only part of the hair colored?

It seems you have a double standard, when the arm goes behind the body it gets darker, and when the leg goes behind the body it stays lit! This makes it very confusing to watch the running animation, because it looks like he has two left arms. :blind:
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 09:20:59 pm by CrazyMLC »

Offline politopo

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: December 18, 2009, 06:06:51 am
bouncing glasses is cool, but what if you try keeping the eyes from bouncing? I'm not sure it will be good, but I think is worth trying a take.
Anyway... it makes me wanna have time to jump around, platform to platform...