AuthorTopic: Small game project  (Read 9131 times)

Offline coffee

• JohanAronson
    • View Profile

Small game project

on: December 11, 2009, 11:06:33 am
Working on a small platform game to make bonds with a friend of mine who is a programmer.
We decided to not go into anything big yet and started with this

Quick mockup:

The background is just temporarily tho I think it fits very well and the trees are not totaly finished yet.
The waterfall is ready and animated same with the hero. Not too sure about the guardian yet, some small things
I might need to change, but that's why I need your help!

Mockup Edit:

New Interface updates

here is the running animation of our hero:

Edit running animation (Sorry bout the non-transparent):

Tried to make it more living and personally I think it got a lot better, fixed the small movements of his body to be more in a circle also.

This is a quick setup with breathing and slidestop, just to give u a feeling of how it will look moving:

Tell me what you think (:
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 03:32:56 pm by coffee »

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Re: Small game project

Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 11:34:09 am
I really really love your clean and confident style, and the game (even just from these two mocks) looks like a whimsical place I'd like to explore.  

Main character seems a tiny bit bland.  His run anim is very wobbly too.  I don't think the individual frames need much more than tweaking, it's mainly the frames need moving about I think. I'd also make the two forwards extremes of his arm positions less extreme - he should be slowing down to bring his arms back again, so moving less - little bit jerky atm.  (Behind is fine).  

*editted to improve some terrible English!*
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 11:36:54 am by rikfuzz »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 12:30:45 pm
very nice! I'm fond of your trunks and the leaves of your trees show very interesting "character". You might want to drop the outline on the trees, however.

I'd suggest that you don't keep both layers of tree aligned horizontally, though. You could also possibly try to alter the hero's goggles so that he's more looking forward. Right now, his right eye is pointed straight towards the player which gives him an odd "chameleon" look.

Keep up!

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 04:58:59 pm
Well, I really like this a lot, so I'm going to try me best to tear it apart for you!

1. I think the rocks stick out a little too much, I'd take out the shadows and highlights as you get further from the edge so that it blends into the flat gray better.
2. Why are the hearts for his health quad-pixeled? I think they should be redrawn to fit with everything else. Though perhaps you just grabbed them from somewhere to mock it up.
3. For the animation, he probably shouldn't move back and forth at all, keep the mouth pretty much on a vertical line, and the odd "jumping" will disappear.
4. You could also turn the toes of the feet up on the frame before they hit the ground, it adds a bit more interest and give a little more power to the foot's contact.
5. PypeBros is right about the goggles, while I think it works fine on the idle pose, it looks pretty odd when he's running.
6. His close arm appears to swing back all the way across his back to his far side because you've shaded it with the dark colors on two frames. Actually, I think the biggest problem is that his shoulders don't really move, if you rotate the chest and shoulders to counter the hips and legs it will help a lot.
7. The white spot on his chest moves very erratically, jumping back and forth between frames.
8. I don't think it's good to have the black on the background tree and the forest guardian when the main character is so low-contrast, the black is a little out of place as it is, maybe replace it with another color? Or in the case of the tree, just turn it to transparent.
9. Why is the forest guardian's pose so still? Is he meant to be animated in-engine, with rotateable parts perhaps?

But as I said, I do like this quite a bit! The colors are very nice, and I like the style you've got going, it's very clean and just looks fun to play.

Offline Red_Mist

• Not enough pixels in the world.
    • View Profile
    • FuzionLLC

Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 09:35:56 pm
just somthing I noticed that you're probably allready aware of but I wanted to point out: The rock faces seem to be rotated and mirrored but should be re-shaded to accomadate proper lighting... Its not really that noticeable I guess since it hasn't been mentioned yet I just thought it looked kinda odd.
Great work tho, definately looks to be a fun game!
<Xion> I can't see it why can't I see it

Offline eobet

• View Profile
    • eobet disajn

Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 11:15:18 am
The guardian really needs serious fixing. He's incredibly cool from the chest up, but below the chest, the theme suddengly changes to ugly angular objects with black outlines... why not continue the swirly stone theme all throughout his body? Also, he is standing with his legs like he is about to take a dump... or someone's shoved a tree up his ass. Sorry.

It's got potential for greatness, though!  :y:
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 11:16:56 am by eobet »

Offline Monochrome

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 11:42:50 am
It looks really good! Just tell me it's not flash. I'm tired to see people wasting their talents on flash these days.
"God is dead, but considering the state of species Man is in, there will perhaps be caves, for ages yet, in which his shadow will be shown"

Friederich Nietzsche

Offline aramaki

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 01:54:58 pm
It looks really good! Just tell me it's not flash. I'm tired to see people wasting their talents on flash these days.
Is there any other real alternative?  Flash, from what I can see, is the most easy and clear way to publish and monetize your game.

Offline Monochrome

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 02:53:53 pm
Is there any other real alternative?  Flash, from what I can see, is the most easy and clear way to publish and monetize your game.

There are plenty of alternatives. Flash games are regarded as mere timewasters rather than real games, not to mention the only clients you will ever get are huge flash games sites like armor games or miniclip, where there's so much variety your product is most likely to end up forgotten in a matter of days. If you're amiming for actual acknowledgement I'd say create something on a real game engine, and release it for free, adding the possibility to expand it later with extra levels and so on.
"God is dead, but considering the state of species Man is in, there will perhaps be caves, for ages yet, in which his shadow will be shown"

Friederich Nietzsche

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 03:27:56 pm
I disagree completely. I think adobe is doing great work with Flash. The problem lies with the portals, who are selling sometimes great games for no money and throw them in between a bunch of mediocre games.

I've seen great Flash games and some of them are very popular, outside of the portals. Have you seen AdamAtomic's work?

I find your comment very derogative towards Flash developers. Would you like it if 3D artists would tell you to work with a "real" art style instead of pixel art too?

real game engine

I'm sure Adam will love it if you say to his face that Flixel is not a "real game engine". I'm sure he would be better to spend his time on engines like Game Maker or BYOND, which are not Flash and therefore real.