AuthorTopic: [help] alien world  (Read 3066 times)

Offline Gotedifuoco

• View Profile

[help] alien world

on: December 09, 2009, 11:04:32 pm

it's a bg i'm doing for an ags adventure game.. i've been said it looks flat. Any tips? i really don't know how to fix it.. :-[
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 11:06:04 pm by Gotedifuoco »

Offline dpixel

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/20306.htm
    • View Profile

Re: [help] alien world

Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 11:48:21 pm
I'm no expert by any means, but I think the light source is all over the place.  The part above and to the left of the door is coming from one direction and the thing on the left side of the screen looks like it's coming from the opposite direction...sort of matching the light source on the clouds.  Maybe create some shadows on the ground too.  It would probably add some more depth.

I'm sure others would have some better advice.   

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 01:06:13 am
Okay, hopefully I can explain this  :D

You need elements that recede from the viewers position in order to create a sense of depth (purple stuff in my sketch). Just having planes and applying aerial perspective (as you have done) can only get you so far. It doesn't help that your nearest hill goes right up close to the horizon, I think that's a big culprit in flattening your landscape. Bring it down considerably.

Only a small portion of the image really relates to the playable area. Once you get outside the playable/walkable area, go crazy with height and distance variation.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 02:30:32 pm
my only regret would be to see this dithering in the ceylan door, especially given how "mathematical" that dithering currently is. Imho, it contradicts with the quality of the alien structure and the landscape. I also note similar issues (but less obvious to the reader) with the dithered-gradient in the green hills: while your hill have definitely organic shapes, the gradients are purely horizontals. I might even prefer no gradient at all there, apart from sparse, "evading" pixels.