AuthorTopic: Birthday present for pietepiet  (Read 2928 times)

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Birthday present for pietepiet

on: December 10, 2009, 09:28:59 pm
Yeah well yeah he totally had a birthday and I was in the mood to draw a girlie so I did. I think it's accidentally 16 colors, but transparency making it 17 in the end.

"hello Jad, the forum has a zoom function, you should know as a mod"

"yeah I know except too many browsers at the moment with shitty shit resizing and blur crap, so there you go"

also yes, I'm more or less finished with this one and this is no showcase board but.. Man what can I say. With the activity at its current ok-but-not-very-burning-hot state and us 'old guys' 'never' posting anything, what can I say. Let's post some stuff and discuss it! Every piece posted is an entry point for discussion about TEH ARTS OF PIXEL and a new thing to study and learn from for the newbies, which might SUBCONSCIOUSLY improve the other pieces of pixel art we see around here. I know that's worked for me, just lurking and watching stuff I liked here has taught me LOTS.

Something particular you want to point out about this? Does my shading work overall? I don't know! I'm no arne when it comes to shading. I like these colors and low-contrast shading and no-outline shenanigans but goddamnit people I know you all have different ideals and some of them might be applicable on my picture. So let's opinion.

One-liners, whether derogatory or ass-patting will be BALEETED by the me, so better write nothing in that case!

YOU
 <3
' _ '

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Re: Birthday present for pietepiet

Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 09:39:03 pm
I wish it was
my birthday    (ass patting twoliner)

Yes, shading is great, I'm amazed that such a low contrast can work so well. Because of the wide-ranging beautiful (more ass-patting) palette?
Me newb, learn something.

Maybe the slightest AA on the wheel? The darkest skin tone might do it I think.

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 10:17:47 pm
Hello Jad, the forum has a zoom function, you should know as a mod.   :crazy:

I actually miss when people would post an enlarged version for everybody's viewing pleasure.  You know, a single click is becoming more and more valuable these days, and little time saving things like posting a x2 pixel piece saves time for everybody. SO EVERYBODY SHOULD DO IT  :yell:

This is my biggest concern: The middle skin tone blends with the background. Also the dark shade of the moped.  Maybe cool off the background color?

Otherwise, vary naise :3
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline WM

• cubist
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 10:32:30 pm

This is my biggest concern: The middle skin tone blends with the background. Also the dark shade of the moped.  Maybe cool off the background color?

Otherwise, vary naise :3

My thoughts exactly; I love you palette choice (it fits the subject matter and tone of the piece so well), but it's a major strain on the eyes trying to differentiate all those faded values from one another. I think some minor tweaks in both the value and saturation in some areas will really set off this piece.

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 02:08:31 am
I think it's safe to say we've entered the realm of the ultra-cute.

The high key colours melding into each other is a little straining, but at the same time brings something valuable to the piece. It's hard for me to pin down. I think it just needs the smallest bit of tweaking.

Basically just me playing around. Adding AA in places, adjusting a line or two, tweaking colours. I found a colour you can sacrifice - the darks used only on the eyes. BAM! 16 colours.