AuthorTopic: Scott Pilgrim Fan Game  (Read 43202 times)

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Re: Scott Pilgrim Fan Game

Reply #50 on: November 01, 2007, 08:57:53 am
this looks great.

An excellent example of anticipation and overeach.

the overreach give impact to the movement which adds power.

I'm glad you did this because I've been wanting to do an edit for a while now to illustrate this.

But in all honesty, the other attacks are still valid IMO... and this is more like a strong attack.

Nice.
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #51 on: November 01, 2007, 03:16:46 pm
That's great but that's a finishing punch. You'll notice the 'weak' punches in SF as well are one-frame-ish and really fast and weak. That's because they're needed in gameplay, not because any rational fighter would ever throw a sissy punch.

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #52 on: November 01, 2007, 03:44:03 pm
I think you're right, the earlier punches look weak, but you can have a powerful looking punch without the guy throwing his entire body forward.  For the earlier jabs, I'd try a slight twist of the torso and simply making it quicker (maybe some motion lines like in Jad's kick edit).  Force = mass x acceleration

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #53 on: November 02, 2007, 04:12:48 am
Made a combo out of it...

Helm that's a valid point... the attacks in this game are going to be pretty different from Street Fighter though. Having said that I agree with you guys that he probably doesn't need this much force in his attacks... it's really a matter of how it feels once it's in the game though.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 04:30:38 am by Ben2theEdge »
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #54 on: November 02, 2007, 11:50:21 am
this is lovely...

One of things I always used to criticise 3d fighters for over and above 2d pixel based ones was the lack of character in the poses and action.

"but it's in THREED DEE" - Big deal...! sure they moved around with a certain realism but where's the facial characteristics? Where's the hand shapes? where's the secondary motion on hair and cloth and so on...

I used to loathe and detest V-fighter/Toshinden/Tekken/Soul Blade etc because of this - for failing to realise that the open palm, crunched fists, flared fingers added flavour to a move. That said, I think was Tekken 3 where Namco finally began having different hand shapes for some of the characters attacks... (that jackie chan hong kong cop character springs to mind) - but there was SFA and Marvel Super Heroes with the likes of Fei Long, Gei and Zangief, Hulk, Spiderman and Juggernaut with some fantastic finger gestures and facial characterristics that broght so much more dynamism to the screen than any lo poly 3d character ever could.

And so, to this work in this thread by Ben2 - illiustrating perfectly what I love so much about the pixel medium... that fact that we can adapt on a frame by frame basis to add character, dynamism, flair, impact and 'style' to a piece - where 3D used to fail so miserably...

... admitteddly all that's changed now - with the new machines being some much more powerful they can actually have articulated fingers and floating cloth and hair etc etc... but then it's come too late for this genre hasn't it...? the age of the 1 on 1 fighter seems to have had it's day...? it's all about multiple mass opponents and massive environments that only suck up the poly counts so all you're left with is characters that only just have the right digit assets to perform hand gestures and facial characteristics that only just get away with it... gun play gaming is so boring for the animator... nothing like a pair of swords and feet and fists.

How many more john woo a likes can there be?

Anyway... I've gone stratospherically off topic here...

Bottom line is I think these anims are wonderful... keep up the good work Ben.
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline CrissCrossCory

• View Profile

Reply #55 on: December 09, 2009, 08:34:25 pm
Hello I just wanted to say to Ben2theEdge that I really like the sprites you have made. I seen that you where planning on making a Scott Pilgrim game. I would also like to make a game but I am nowhere as good at making sprites as the ones you have made, and i was hoping you would share your sprites and/or how you made them.

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #56 on: December 09, 2009, 08:44:03 pm
please do not necro-post.  This thread is locked unless ben wants to update this thread.  CrissCrossCory - I suggest you PM ben if you want to talk about this.